Retirement fund and spending

BelgianBoy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More importantly, can anyone actually *prove* that it is cheaper to retire in Thailand than in the West. Yes, I know that the cost of living is definitely cheaper, but buying a domicile anywhere near one of the major population centres is going to cost real money, and there are the costs of relocation, visa runs and assorted Farang-only costs that make me wonder if one would actually be any better off in the LOS, at least materially. Yes, I know that this is only one of the factors which members consider when making the plunge, but its a major committment in anyone's terms.

More importantly, can anyone actually *prove* that it is cheaper to retire in Thailand than in the West

Thats a real difficult question to answer.

Firstly, most people have a reduced income in retirement. They also do not have to go to work everyday so they may save some costs there but they might lose company benefits such as health insurance etc. Also, staying at home all day will surely require greater services costs, such as electricity. In addition, there may be some costs which have to be paid for privately which would otherwise be picked up by the government back home.

Basic costs

Property rent - probably cheaper in LOS.

Property purchase - undoubtedly cheaper in LOS.

Food - cheaper in LOS

Beer - may be more expensive in LOS in bars.

Services (electricity, gas, water etc.) - cheaper I think.

Transport - cheaper if needed.

Clothes etc. - cheaper if not a fashion label (real).

Computing - more expensive in LOS.

So all the necessities look cheaper. But, what about the almost requisite costs of a partner, either as a butterfly or with a long time girl. Also, the additional costs of having most of the recreational activities centering around the bars.

Well, this is the killer. Butterflying will burn a large hole in any wallet if done each day. Say a minumum of Bt50,000 per month (including LDs, BFs and Tips etc.).

Going out each night and consuming around 6 to 8 bottles of beer or equivalent will hit around Bt20,000.

Then, because your companion likely has no income, you have to cover her costs in the bars, food, cinema etc. Count on another Bt15,000 per month.

Finally, if you have to send some cash back to her folks, say another Bt5,000 per month.

At this point, you're up to around Bt90,000 per month plus rent. So make that a round 100k per month.

Well, thats around USD 2,500 or GBP 1,600 per month. So if you live in the middle of London, Tokyo or New york, LOS is definately cheaper. If you live in the sticks, then LOS is probably more expensive.

That said, you don't often get a different bird in your bed each day do you ?

Settle down with a girl after a few months and you're costs will go down quite a bit. Better still, get a girl with some form of job and you're even better off.

Of course, a lot of guys survive on a lot less but what an awful place with so many temptations if you cannot partake once in a while (like each day).

Artie,

Yes, it can easily be proven....

First thing NOT to do is to buy property, better rent...... why buy anyway and loose a big chunk of your nestegg ?

Then - in my case - I am in a stable relation, so no need to go out and 'get some'....... also will try NOT to live in BKK.

As Torrenova explained, depending on your relation, your expenses will highly fluctuate as well.

Heavy drinker or haevy butterflying ???

Cheers !

• 2 months later...
soongmak said:

All in all, a simple question : is there somewhere a kind of excell sheet where one can put in and play with the different variables ?

Look in your mail box.

Soongmak,

I'd be interested in having a look at your spreadsheet if you're still sending it out.

Thanks.

Archived