Thai woman and religion...

And because Buddha teaches reincarnation

-------------------------

Nice post on Buddhism, Chieu. Only Buddha never taught re-incarnation, but indicated that all things, all matter are in a constant state of flux, so are humans. He expressively taught His disciples not to worry about (TTM? ::), about theories that won't get them any closer to salvation, that can only be achieved by living in the Now, with constant awareness (which meditation leads to) and right conduct. In a nutshell...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite correct, pukkawalla saab :bow: His teaching that all lives are intertwined and in a constant state of flux into other forms, was adopted by the Hindus of the time to be in alignment with their beliefs in 'reincarnation'. The Buddha taught a method of self enlightenment, through being 'here and now', that would lead one to 'nivana'. Just a one of his students did 543 years later to what he referred to as 'The Kingdom of Heaven'.

was adopted by the Hindus of the time

---------------------

in all fairness, the rig-vedas, oldest literature (no books though) recognized that a couple ooo years before. We, in the west came to that conclusion not so long ago. As usual, we had to draw it from research, anlysis, theories, etc... in one word: from thinking too mutt! :: :: ::.

[color:"blue"]I would not know if Christ knew about Buddha, sounds interesting though [/color]

In all likelihood, he not only knew about him but was Buddhist priest. His disappearance from the age of 13 until his return at age 29 1/2 was most likely spent in Buddhist monastaries. The book 'The Lost Years' by French researchers traces his movements from Bethlehem to Goa, then Madras and finally to Tibet where the ONLY written historical notation of this fellow is to be found in a Tibetan monastary.

warning inflammable post

Says chieusamac:

I know religion is always a touchy subject and it is no exception to Thai girls. I could not recall how many times I got into discussion with Thai girls about their believe in Buddha and everytime we ended up arguement... In my very humble opinion is that Buddhism in Thailand are thriving; however, in Thailand, the monks are allowed to consume meat and that is definitely contrasting to Buddha's teaching. Every time i raised this issue with the Thais, they get so defensive and scolding me for not understanding their thinking.

I always love these guys that blow in from a hippy commune in Northern California and proceed to tell Thais about ''what Buddhism is all about, man". :doah:

As has been pointed out Buddism is/isn't a way of life, religion, doctrine, roadmap to salvation, chicken soup for the soul, yada, yada thoelogical wanking yada but there is no doubt that Buddhism is an integral part of the Thai identity so for you then to presume to go about pontificating about what the Buddha actually taught is akin to me walking into a sports bar in the States and saying "you guys got this Baseball thing all wrong, it should be played this way..."

You need to understand that there are no absolutes in Buddhism, everything is open to interpretration and nothing is to be adhered to without reserve. (one note monks are given their food, they do not dictate what they are given and in a sense they cannot refuse to take what they are given)

Buddhism is also not a justification for vegetarianism (a wholly unnatural state of affairs homo sapiens bieing omnivores, but I digress), if you want a justification become a Jain.

i found it is interesting to find some one who is openminded for discussion and not so blindly worshiping those meat eating monks.
when they could be whorshipping you right? methinks someone needs to rexamine their own level of openmindeness.

Hi Straycat,

In present day Thailand however many people do not eat beef. I'm not really sure where that comes from but I would expect it to be a religious matter. A compromise with Buddhist teachings, perhaps?

One of the reasons why quite a few thai people dont eat beef - and by the way love to pride themselves due to this fact :: - is that they are "Kuan Im worshippers". Kuan Im being the chinese "god of compassion".

The story goes that when Kuam Ims father - who was a chinese emporer - died, he was reincarnated in the shape of a bull. And thus her followers dont eat beef to this day.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi chieusamac,

I think there are a couple of subjects I would not wanna raise with a thai (especially if that person lives in Thailand) unless I knew them really well.

One would be discussions about the character of certain royal persons, succesion of the throne etc. and the other would definitely be buddhism especially if what I had to say would be highly critical.

And as a matter of fact I dont understand why you wanna go there when you so many times end up in arguments ::

There are plenty of other subjects to talk about especially with thai girls. I could think of quite a few much more interesting.

By the way there are several different kinds of buddhist monks. Some live under far more restrictions than others and some are much more liberal.

Allow me to post an analogy: I seem to recall from sunday school that christians live by the 10 commandments. Now hands up those who never broke a single one of those ::

cheers

Hua Nguu

Says Hua Nguu:

One of the reasons why quite a few thai people dont eat beef - and by the way love to pride themselves due to this fact :: - is that they are "Kuan Im worshippers". Kuan Im being the chinese "god of compassion".

The story goes that when Kuam Ims father - who was a chinese emporer - died, he was reincarnated in the shape of a bull. And thus her followers dont eat beef to this day.

Hi Hua!

Yup, that most likely it. The Thais I personally know and who do not eat beef are indeed worshippers of Kuan Im. Thanks for bringing that up for my attention (and especially the history behind it)!

Cheers,

Stray

Buddhism is an integral part of the Thai identity so for you then to presume to go about pontificating about what the Buddha actually taught is akin to me walking into a sports bar in the States and saying "you guys got this Baseball thing all wrong, it should be played this way..."

-------------------------------

Buddhism is cartainly not limited to a nationality. There are many things about Buddhism as taught by the Buddha that the thais do not practice, even the thai sangha. First, that Buddhism is not to be institutionnalized, centralized, or lends itself to be an instrument of the State, as happened in Thailand. All religions are used at some point or another for control by powers in place. Buddhism is no exception.

Archived