Thai woman and religion...

Hi gang,

I know religion is always a touchy subject and it is no exception to Thai girls. I could not recall how many times I got into discussion with Thai girls about their believe in Buddha and everytime we ended up arguement... In my very humble opinion is that Buddhism in Thailand are thriving; however, in Thailand, the monks are allowed to consume meat and that is definitely contrasting to Buddha's teaching. Every time i raised this issue with the Thais, they get so defensive and scolding me for not understanding their thinking. Needless to say, this is a killer for any relationship but i found it is interesting to find some one who is openminded for discussion and not so blindly worshiping those meat eating monks.

csm

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite some soup you're cooking. Women, religion, monks and relationship killers... ::

Anyhow it would obviously be a bit complicated to avoid food that derives from animals. Just where should one draw the line? Milk? Egg? I don't know...

Thais are pragmatic people and they find it ok to eat meat. I guess one could interpret the Buddhist teachings as such that it forbids the killing of human beings -- and not animals.

In present day Thailand however many people do not eat beef. I'm not really sure where that comes from but I would expect it to be a religious matter. A compromise with Buddhist teachings, perhaps? ;)

Then there is also of course the annual 10 days or so of [color:"red"]¡Ô¹à¨[/color], "gin je": Serving of Chinese Buddhist vegetarian dishes, which are actually very tasty!

So I'm happy to inform you that the Thais haven't totally given in yet. :)

OK, i will be late for work again :(.... :::

I read a very interesting theory as to where the untouchable cast came from in Indian history. very quick and imprecisely: Apparently, as India rejected Buddhism, its adherents were ostracized, and their cow-killing habits frowned upon, as we all know from the status of cows there. It started the downgrading of a whole side of the population.

Of course, over 2000 years, more than that went into untouchabeality status. But, maybe a reminder that laics of Buddhist leanings killed animals, and since they had to feed monks, may have been part of their diet. I strongly leant towards monks eating animal flesh in the B's time. But stand to be corrected, as no doubt, more inputs will come.

But, maybe a reminder that laics of Buddhist leanings killed animals, and since they had to feed monks, may have been part of their diet. I strongly leant towards monks eating animal flesh in the B's time. But stand to be corrected, as no doubt, more inputs will come.

I simply don't know myself but could probably read up somewhere.

Over to later times.

I'm fairly sure that I read somewhere that the placement of the Klong Toey slaughterhouse (now no longer in function) was not only a matter of placing it in a conveniant spot as for logistics but also that there were a large Christian population living there. Hence it could be staffed easily as Buddhists were not likely to perform duty...This could of course be the usual romanticization and exaggeration by Western authors: One would of course imagine Thais have eaten fried chicken/pork/beef with their rice for a very, very long time by now -- even before the institution of slaughter houses. ;)

First, and most important, Buddhism is NOT a religion, although treated by many as such. It is a Philosophy, having no diety, nor faith required.

Siddhartha Gautama (the "Buddha"), according to my readings was certainly not a vegetarian, until perhaps well after his 'enlightenment'. But, did teach the practise of respect for all living creatures, and that None have the 'right' to take that life away.

I talked to some Monks one day as they were fishing. Hmmm.... guys aren't you sworn no to kill anything.?

Oh yes, correct, but we never kill them. Simple lay them on the river bank and they can choose to return to the river or sacrifice themselves for our dinner.

Practical Asians :applause:

For a glimpse in the Buddha and his origins Buddha Origins

Says Straycat:

In present day Thailand however many people do not eat beef. I'm not really sure where that comes from but I would expect it to be a religious matter. A compromise with Buddhist teachings, perhaps?
;)

Hi Straycat,

my understanding of Thais not eating beef is that Rama V didn't eat meat....... :angel:

Also, it seems that if you eat beef, you smell rather distinctive, a thing a bit frowned upon by many Thais. This may hit home a bit closer.

LaoHiuLi is correct that buddhism is not a religion. It is actually a way of life and Buddha believed that his way is the most logical way to reach enlightment.

To end all suffers in life, one must refrain from inflicting suffers! And the simpliest thing to do is stop killing animals and consum their flesh. Buddha teaches that life is in all life forms; and all life forms deserve to live, regardless of what stage they are in. An ant is no different than cow or chicken or bird or worm.... or human being. He teaches that we, human being, using our strength and cleverness to kill these animal for our own benefits. The key word is "kill". He said that if all life form were able to speak, they would voice their objection of being slaughtered so that other can enjoy. And because Buddha teaches reincarnation, that means that whatever one did in this life, he or she would be rewarded or punished accordingly in the next life. It could be reincarnated in a different life form! Who knows.

By the way, animal products such as milk and eggs are eatable. I dont know where the idea of not eat beef came from ..but it sounds similar to the practice of the Indian or muslim. Anyway, I strongly believe Buddhism and its way of life is fasinating and worth teaching.

csm

Hi,

Not sure what the reason is for Thais, but an Indian friend once explained it to me like this:

The first milk a person drinks comes from his/her mother, later in life the milk comes from a cow. Therefore the cow is seen as a surrogate mother, and who would killl & eat his/her mother?

The reason for my wife is much simpler, her stomach doesn't agree with beef :)

Sanuk!

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

Not sure what the reason is for Thais, but an Indian friend once explained it to me like this:

The first milk a person drinks comes from his/her mother, later in life the milk comes from a cow. Therefore the cow is seen as a surrogate mother, and who would killl & eat his/her mother?

The reason for my wife is much simpler, her stomach doesn't agree with beef
:)

Sanuk!

One of the great insults in Hindi to to tell someone that he "would pimp his mother's cow'. Definately a no-no.

BTW, the reason many people get an upset stomach eating beef is that the body creates specific enymes to break it down. If you do not eat it regularly then stomach upset will occur. Eating very small quantities for several days will kick start your body into producing them again. (Learned that one from a vegetarian who went on meat binges a couple times a year :grinyes: )

Archived