Evacuation. What would you bring?

rovineye

I few of us board members have had to evacuate their homes in Southern California this week, running away from the fires devastating the area.

I knew the fire was heading my way and only had a few hours before my turn came to leave, a mandatory evacuation. I started gathering things to bring with me. I keep CDs with copies of all my photos on the so I grabbed them, my little phone book, wallet and extra credit cards. Then my passport of course, not wanting to replace that before I leave for LOS in 6 weeks or so. After that, I just sorta looked around, shrugged, and grabbed a couple of good bottles of tequila. All my neighbors had the vehicles loaded to the gunnels and basically I could fit all my crap in my glove box!

Years ago, before I got the LOS bug, I would have been freaking out haling stuff to the car. Now? Mai pen rai I guess.

What would you pack up in half an hour before you abandoned your home?

Love you choices. :applause::beer:

But I take wine............ and a corkscrew !

If you can't go around the world with just a carry on ......... you're not much of a traveller. :neener:

You do good. :banghead:

Probably the same as you

but throw in the computer and insurance papers

plus walk around the house and take pictures of everything for the insurance

if it did burn to the ground , I would get a good pile of $$$

and I could make more memories tomarrow !

PS....No fires down here by the beach....

Insurance papers as well as photos of home are kept on line. Same with copies of credit cards, passport and before traveling travelers checks and airline tickets etc. All pssword protected at clubphoto.

I could always use a new computer tho! Nothin that precious kept there for me.

Geeze! I just looked around waiting for the last post to do its thing. Right on top of my desk, staring me in the mug, is my Joe DiMaggio signed baseball!

I put a friends son up in my house one time. The fucking bastard ripped me off. Stole my signed Ken Griffey baeball, which was sitting right next to Joltin Joes ball. Fool!

A yes a subject next to own heart...

Earthquake!...I alwys have ready in a Bug out bag, or ready to toss in truck or actually in truck..

9mm pistol, Walther, 100 rounds 115 JHP (people)

6.5x55 rifle, 200 rounds 140 grain ammo (critters)

2 white gas stoves

cook kit

3 bottles white gas

tool box

sleeping bags

water jug

2 knives

axe

saw

rope

caribiners

Mag Lite, 2 doz batteries

Perpetual flashlight

lantern

candles

wool blanket

med kit, including anti diarrehal and morphine, sutures

I have a topper on my truck with a raised bed and a mattress, also a cooler in there, some chairs, tarps...

I can be loaded in just a few minutes...

I woke up sunday a. m. to the smell of smoke ( lakeside area, san county)

by the time I woke up the rest of my family, the sherrif was blasting evacuation ( immeidatly) , so had very little time to get our "shit" togeather.

( strange thing was, just the prev evening after seeing similar stuff on tv, we had discussed what all to do,, but did nothing at the time)

so we all grabbed stuff we thought important and headed to my work

( good place to stay in times of problems)

what we arrived with: ( left the house in about 20 minutes)

some clothes

my passport.

wallett with credit cards and id.

money/gold coins

passport.

2 birds

3 dogs

pet food.

fn/fal and ammo

22cal ruger and ammo

box of 00 12 gauge shot shells ( forgot the shotgun by the door :) )

2 cars.

later in the day we got to go back, and set aside a few more items

( mostly paper work) in case of "next time"

We had a major fire at my home some years ago, lost my business and warehouse. got totally screwed by the insurence company, so I really did not have much hope if we lost our home this time, but. mai pen rai prevails for us.

the nice thing about having an insurence agent, there is actually someone there you can get your hands on if things go wrong.

( around their neck if neccessary)

Archived