Taxis & Meters

loner w/a boner

I've read on Stickman's site and other sites how important it is to insist that the taxi driver uses his meter. For tourists, newbies, and for longer distances, I can see exactly why. I have a couple of questions regarding possible exceptions:

First, all the cabs I get into start their meters at a 35 baht pick-up price. But I've read about ppl saying they had a 20-25 baht taxi ride to some such place.

#1. Does that necessarily imply that this must have been "off-meter"? Also, surely a driver would only run off-meter if it put more money in his pocket.

#2. Does he have to share some of the metered $ with the boss?

If so, then if I know I just need to go a couple of km, and don't feel up to the walk, ...

#3. can't I just ask "how much to soi## without meter?"?

When not sitting in traffic, the taxi can cover a pretty good distance on that initial 35b. After BTS closes, I could go from nana or Soi Cowboy to home for a lot less that 35 if it wasn't for that meter. Oh, and I know I'm a "cheap charlie". But I'd like to use the system most efficiently, cutting a few corners here and there. Can't find enough tuk-tuks after midnight, though. :(

Cheap Charlie is an understatement in this case! ::

1. It most likely means they used a cycle rather than a meter taxi. Flag down is 35 baht and is about the only time they make a reasonable profit. Taxi is rented by the shift or owned by driver. Meter is only to charge customer. They will be happy to 'bargain' a price but I (parked behind) won't. :(

2. No.

3. Yes. But you will almost surely end up paying more, even after wasting your time. Don't return us to pre 90's methods, please.

The 35 baht will cover the first couple of km if no traffic. The rates are very low and most drivers will be lucky to clear 300 baht per day. You couldn't pay me enough to spend my day driving in Bangkok traffic. ::

"First, all the cabs I get into start their meters at a 35 baht pick-up price. But I've read about ppl saying they had a 20-25 baht taxi ride to some such place."

loner w/a boner, Unless you speak proficient Thai, I would advise you to pay the fare on the meter method :: The possibility of misunderstanding by the taxi driver :cussing: far outweighs the benefits that can be achieved by saving 10 to 15 baht ;)

I have found that less interaction with most taxi drivers :clown: especially on my initial encounter, and keeping it strictly businesslike, they turn on the meter and do not try to screw around negotiating deals :doah:

Taxi's are just about the best deal in LOS! I would think cabbies make money on the short hops. It's just insane they can take me to the airport for the better part of an hour and it costs just 200 baht! Wonder how much gas cost for the run and their rent of the vehicle.

That said, there were rumours a few months ago of price hikes; meter starts at 50 and 50% higher after that. That's the time to grumble, if just a little.

Taxis in Bangkok are the best deal I have seen in any major city, for the most part.

This year, I got into the cab at the entrance to Nana Hotel, said go to airport, but the guy would not turn on the meter. He started his negotiations at 300 baht, I told him he had 5 seconds to turn on meter. He persists, I grab luggage, get next cab.

Another time, got in cab, said go airport, guy turns on meter. When turn onto Sukhumvit, this :clown: starts telling me 350 baht, no meter, I said stop cab, I think he starts :cussing: in Thai, grab luggage, get other cab after being dumped on Sukhumvit which is not a problem ::

This kind of crap happens on occasion, but Jakarta can be a real adventure if you get a bad taxi, those guys can make it difficult :o

Most drivers are working for a Company or Independent Owner and pay from 700 to 1100 baht per day (24 hours), depending on the age of the care, for the use of the taxi... The drivers are also responsible for the gas, oil and regular maintainance of the taxi... Most Companies / Owners require that the drivers pay for the taxi every day only giving them 1 or 2 days off per month... Most drivers share the taxi w/another driver and work in 12 hour shifts, and are lucky to make 200 to 400 baht per day..

The best way for a driver to make money is by making as many "Short" 35 baht runs as possible in one shift...

As to the proposed rate increase, most drivers are against it, knowing that the Company would just increase their charges to the drivers, and with such an increase, fewer Thais would be using the taxis as much as they do now...

Pianoman

Archived