Another Crackdown

jackspratt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it is time to stock?? What will follow next?

- Crackdown on Wildlife trade (Chatuchak (sp.?) raided last week).

- Crackdown on pirated CDs (today, even DVD on Sukh are gone).

- Crackdown on Massage parlours (afaik, Annies was raided yesterday and they found underage girls).

Yes, China has crackdowns as well - but tend to be for show. I can walk out of my A Grade office building in the middle of the Beijing CBD at 6pm, and find 3 or 4 sellers of the latest DVDs right outside. Price is 8 - 10 yuan ie less than A$2. I predict the pirates will be around and public for another year, and then it will go underground.

Nice and bloody cold at the moment - 5 inches of snow last Thursday night. But the goods news is that the central heating went on today.

If you can't be in LOS for the time being, Beijing is a pretty reasonable short-term substitute. As I tell all my friends in sleepy hollow in Oz, there is something (or someone) new around every corner.

Says Peter1964:

So, it is time to stock?? What will follow next?

- Crackdown on Wildlife trade (Chatuchak (sp.?) raided last week).

- Crackdown on pirated CDs (today, even DVD on Sukh are gone).

- Crackdown on Massage parlours (afaik, Annies was raided yesterday and they found underage girls).

Had dinner with a GTG the other night. We started talking about the crackdown after I had trouble locating my usual supplier of pirated DVDs. A friend of hers, she told me, owns a garment factory that used to make a lot of money selling fake branded clothing to wholesellers but recently she has been forced to scale down her production because of all the crackdowns taking place.

Her opinion (which I agree) is that it's a pain in the ass in the short-term, but will help Thailand in the long-run. She mentioned that this is one thing she really appreciates about Thaksin- that many other PMs in the past have promised to purge the country of a lot of these sinful activities but he thus far is the first one who is really doing what he stated he will do.

Thaksin is after a free trade agreement with the US and, as I understand it, part of the requirements from the US side is to get tough on intellectual property rights violations- which is taking place. I'm hoping the FTA with the US goes through as it will really help Thai exports- something near and dear to me. ::

Cheers!

I second, that sooner or later all fake products will definitely be vanished and that it is better for Thailand to create their own brands or to produce them under license. Btw, I usually never buy fake watches or clothes; when buying them in an outlet, the prices are low too and the quality is much better (the only thing I am really after are sw-products and movies; but as long as we have a fast internet, no problem at all :) ).

Archived