Ever paid duty entering LOS?

rovineye

In 20+ years, I have never had a bag opened. Of course I wouldn't declare any thing over the allowance, but often go through two duty free bags full of booze and smokes.

Now if you are Thai or maybe have the gf/wife with you, it could be different.

(sure hope my luck holds as Yuki is acompanying me this trip :rolleyes:)

I am just gonna not bring the case requested by a friend in Chinag Mai. Stick to just the tequila for BKK. Only 3 bottles.

Did you see this poor SOB in Phuket? What a haul, (and a loss!). Lucky for him there was nothing on the boat, which was not his. Maybe he made enough in the past so the loss didn't really hurt.

A Pirate looks at 48

He looks pretty big time to me. 22 meter yacht ......... agrees to 2.8 baht fine .......... well either a rich alcoholic, or a gentleman doing business. :grinyes::beer:

But I think you might slip under the radar. :neener:

After the raid, Maj Prasert said, ?We found 505 bottles of alcohol including such brands as Remy Martin, Bollinger, Campari and Gordon?s Gin. We believe that the captain bought them to sell in Phuket.

Mr Letouze told the Gazette, ?I bought the alcohol in Ibiza, Spain, and Echirolles, France, but I didn?t buy it to sell here,? he said. ?I planned to drink the bottles over the coming year while traveling.?

505 bottles in a year. :drunk: :drunk: :beer: :beer: :bow::applause: Has Fiery Jack been unmasked?

PSILVERS here...

A few trips ago, I had 2 big suitcases with me. They pulled me aside and xrayed both of them. I then had to open them up for further inspection. I was carrying some kitchen stuff and ladies clothing for some Thai friends. I figured I will bring more stuff since I wanted the empty space for buying things in Thailand.

The customs officer wanted me to produce receipts for everything. When I pushed for an "arrangement", he asked for 5,000 baht, which I thought was a bit high. After my long trip, I finally managed to agree to 1,500 baht.

I was also not the only one stopped. There were 4 other guys having the same problem. I am not sure what happened to them since I just wanted to get out of the airport as fast as I could.

PSILVERS

Never had any worries in Bangkok but then I am not a resident so I would technically not be importing anything into the country. I've mostly had loads too many ciggies and occasionally booze but never worry about it.

The only places I was asked to open bags were in Phu Quoc in Vietnam where the local fuzz took a shine to my Japanese digicam and in Tokyo when living there and bringing loads of stuff back from the UK. No fines or anything but I think the guy in Phu Quoc was hankering after a sweetner.

Remember , that extra carton of 200 fags can be construed as 200 offences.

An old farang got done after being grassed on by a Thai early last year at the Cambo border (Poipet)

They threw him in the local monkey house but a lot of fast talking and quite a few phone calls to BKK got him out.

Do not know the end result.

The local Thais are paid to grass on farangs, so be careful. :cussing:

Archived