Ever paid duty entering LOS?

rovineye

I dont understand this. If I bring a laptop to Thailand, and I am just on holiday, what right does Thailand have to make me pay duty on the laptop, or any other personal item?

I was planning to do just that in a month or so, so that I could store pictures and music, and even do a bit of writing during my say. But if the Thai's have stooped so low now, perhaps I should now cancel any Thailand plans for good. I am really getting sick of the greed and nastiness Thailand are exhibiting these days. They have really gone down the toilet in my opinion.

Basil, I brought a shed load of stuff through recently, I'd be very surprised if you were hit for your personal laptop. The chances of being stopped are very remote.

I have never been stopped, just make sure all the officers are busy and walk thru the green channel very slowly.

As far as yr laptop is concerned, I would be very surprised if anyone was skinned for a laptop, every biz traveller has one.

No need to be paranoid :grinyes:

Says basilofbarnes:

I dont understand this. If I bring a laptop to Thailand, and I am just on holiday, what right does Thailand have to make me pay duty on the laptop, or any other personal item?

You could sell it without having payed the customs. Imported products usually have very customs in Thailand.

Basill--

what right does Thailand have to make me pay duty on the laptop, or any other personal item?

Actually they have every right per Thai Customs Law as adpoted and registered on 2469 B.E. (1926 A.D.), and all later amendments...

I have seen Thai Customs Officers (at the airport) require that a Customs Duty Bond be posted when they suspect you are importing goods for re-sale or gifting in the Kingdom.. This means that you are required to deposit with the Customs Department the amount of duty/taxes that could be applied if the good(s) are not exported from the Kingdom within the specified time frame...

If you do indeed re-export those same goods, you get the bond (money) back after you've shown the goods to a Customs Officer... If you don't re-export them or export then after the time frame specified in your bond, you forfeit the bond's value.

In reality for the everyday passenger, so long as you don't carry with you items in quantities that are unusually large (think more than reasonable personal consumption) you should be fine...

--UPSer

• 2 weeks later...

i went through the "goods to declare line" 4 times with my computer, pda, dig camera. had to pay 1000b gor a bunch vits., i brought in. If you come from the states, you can send small goods via global priority very inexpencive, tthey have never checked any of them. I sent a box full of 501's

the charded 1500b at the p o.

I got my box of "stuff" xrayed in final walkway last sept.

( have had it happen a few times) but this time they had me open the box ( ( I use large box instead of baggage) ) I had a convection oven in the box. they wanted to know what it was for. I told them I bringing it back to USA after my time in bkk> the convincer was that it was labeled 120 vac. so they figured It was useless in thailand ( I had re-wired it for 240 for use in my condo) got off free this time.

just about every trip I bring a laptop and leave it in bkk for use by my friends/ or to sell.

actually, not so much for the money, just for the fun of getting away with something.

only got asked about it one time, my daughter was with me, and she explained it ( they only saw it on the xray) it was her video game.

no pompam.

I have seen more times than not thai ppl being hasselled at customs for what looks like small time stuff like video camera, radio, or the like.

Archived