World Trade BKK new name & beer garden

They just finished putting up the new lettering and the good old world trade shopping center is now called Central World Plaza. Since that's way too long a name for Thai's who like to shorten everything, it will be interesting to see if they stick with "world trade" or a new short name like "world plaza" for the place. But the good news is the outdoor beer garden is in full swing and should last through new years. There are large numbers of tables in areas for Heineken, Singha and Kloster all serving draft beer. Pitchers are 150 baht. Starting around 6pm, each has a live band and whole pigs roasting. Heineken even has a decent sized bar setup. But don't expect any BG's; you'll need to bring your own.

I don't believe the Central World Plaza is associated in any way with the Central Group (which I think still has Big C across the street, but they may have dumped the Big C chains during the Thaitanic meltdown). BTW, Jessica Hahn of CNN did a nice interview with the big potato in charge of Central Group on This Week in Asia not too long ago. A real family operation.

I heard the name change came mainly as a result of what happened to the WTC in NY. WTCs in a few other countries have recently undergone name changes for the same reason.

Pom Michael is right on all counts.

I just did a little research (what I should have done in the first place instead of spouting off based on that interview I heard) and that Central Group is really into many things here in Bangkok and still has a major part of Big C (and Robinson's, and KFC, and Auntie Annie's, and....).

I did hear about the change based on 9/11, but PM's version certainly makes more sense.

Actually, Zen Department Store in the WTC has always been a Central Department Store. I never could figure out why they named just that one Zen and not any other of the Centrals, unless it was to somehow sound competitive with that Japanese store way on the other side. I don't know why the name change of the whole building now, but right after the 9/11 incident, there was some talk about renaming it; that was generally shrugged off, and I never heard anything else about it, so I find it difficult to believe it's because of that. Could it be that they finally realized how inappropriate the name was for that pathetic monstrosity? A more ridiculous building would be hard to find in Bangkok, IMO.

Archived