Driving around the kingdom in a rental

Coloseum

On my next trip to the LOS I plan on renting a car and

seeing some of the "real" Thailand. I'll do it with my GF.

I'd appreciate some advice:

1. Would I be better off renting an SUV or a Jeep rather

than a sedan ? I plan on going to some of the villages

and am worried about the road conditions.

2. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive rental

company ? I plan on starting in BKK.

3. Does ayone know if I can cross the border to Laos and

Cambodia with a Thai rental.

Any additional information would be highly appreciated.

Try this guy, he has served well several board members (a farang, Welsh):

+662 391 5777

His shop is located at Soi 40, close to Ekkamai skytrain.

The prices are 1000B for a sedan, 1200B for a 4WD, fully insured. Cash only.

I am renting from him wherever I need a car. Half the price of what AVIS and other multinationals charge.

I don't think there is a problem of going accross Lao border with a rented vehicle.

Can't really post more, have no interest in advertising his business.

PM me if you want more details.

Says Coloseum:

On my next trip to the LOS I plan on renting a car and

seeing some of the "real" Thailand. I'll do it with my GF.

I'd appreciate some advice:

1. Would I be better off renting an SUV or a Jeep rather

than a sedan ? I plan on going to some of the villages

and am worried about the road conditions.

2. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive rental

company ? I plan on starting in BKK.

3. Does ayone know if I can cross the border to Laos and

Cambodia with a Thai rental.

Any additional information would be highly appreciated.

1. No need for a SUV or a jeep. You're better off with the comfort of a sedan, in my opinion. Roads in Thailand rarely warrants a special vehicle (unlike for example Cambodia).

2. Many rental companies around even apart from the regular bunch of Avis et al.

3. I think you cannot cross the border with a rental. There's often special paperwork needed to drive a vehicle to the neighbouring countries. And trust me, you don't want to drive in Cambodia anyway! ::

I have used the same shop mentioned by TTM, he is correct, the price is very good and the vehicles well maintained (I had a year 2000 Jeep Cherokee automatic) and they deliver and pickup at hotel. They don't take credit cards, pay cash in advance when vehicle delivered.

Last trip I went with Budget, as they will guarantee the type of vehicle and other shop will only give you a choice of what is available on the day you rent. Booked a year 2002 Honda CRV automatic from Busget over the Internet (with credit card) and it was waiting at booth outside Rama IV Lotus. Found out when we picked it up that if you call them directly (+86 (02) 671 6813) they will deliver and pickup as well.

I have driven both sedans and SUV's around Thailand. SUV's tend to be higher so visibility is better; roads into small villages tend to be unpaved, but not bad enough to use 4WD, though extra clearance on SUV is good. SUV's tend to have more room inside then anything other then a luxury sedan. We will probably stick with the Honda in the future.

The Budget rental contract states the vehicle will not be operated outside Kingdom. :nono: It also says you cannot operate the vehicle off paved roads.

TH

Archived