Motor Expo - Impact Muang Thong Thani

frogpatrol

frogpatrol said:A few other intersting cars of note: check out the new Volvo in booth A 11, the Wald in A 08, and of course the Ferraris and Porsches.

My gal was eyeing the Honda Jazz... which my friend (whose company is displaying there) told me is only around 550,000 Baht or so. Got the doe eyes from GF but escaped deposit-free. Pretty cool car, tho- it reminds me of my first car, a Honda CRX.

I checked out the Wald SEC display but wasn't too impressed. The Wald wheels and bodykits looked bizarre and the Wald RX-8 looked awful compared to the one Mazda had on display. Mazda RX-8 asking 3.7m... Nissan 350Z was quoted at 4.3 by an aggressive saleswoman who promised that I could get a discount. US$110k for a Nissan?

Couldn't find a BMW accessories place but did find the Lamina stand who had little kits to take off the 'Lamina' logo from my window film.

Lots of 'pretty girls' who my GF insisted are almost all readily available for the right asking price. My further inquiries were met with a slap on the arm even though I explained that I'm only asking to pass the info on to my friends. ::

Cheers

Crash999 said:

Lots of 'pretty girls' who my GF insisted are almost all readily available for the right asking price. My further inquiries were met with a slap on the arm even though I explained that I'm only asking to pass the info on to my friends. ::Cheers

Hi Crash,

Your GF is way off base there, though this is the impression many Thai men have as well. I have worked with probably over a hundred of these girls over the last few years, and most of them are no different from the average girl you may meet in a company. The vast majority of the PGs (pretty girls) are not available for money. And though it may sound odd given the name of their occupation, they put in some darned long hours at these shows, which can be quite grueling.

Now, that shouldn't kill the fantasy - many are very friendly and phone numbers can be had, for sure.

Oh, the show opens at around noon and ends at around 10:00 p.m. Tues and Wed, the 9th and 10th, are the last tow days, which is fine by me. I am exhausted.

froggo

frogpatrol said:Your GF is way off base there, though this is the impression many Thai men have as well. I have worked with probably over a hundred of these girls over the last few years, and most of them are no different from the average girl you may meet in a company. The vast majority of the PGs (pretty girls) are not available for money. And though it may sound odd given the name of their occupation, they put in some darned long hours at these shows, which can be quite grueling.

My gal is only familiar with other 'pretty girl' gigs, for which pay is generally 1000-1800 Baht per day including a day for presentation training. As for the auto show I dug into a little more detail here... A friend of mine is head of marketing for one of the bigger auto companies and was giving me the scoop today. His gals earn 3000 Baht per day and are hired through an agency. The SOP for many of the girls is to collect a lot of phone numbers and then work the numbers, whereas some are outright available- to arrange it one would do it through the agency that provided the girls to begin with.

Some gals may in fact be prim and proper, but it seems like there's definitely some possibilities for the truly determined. ::

Cheers!

Hi Crash,

Glad to see we have both been researching this vital societal issue :) ::

I work for a big company which pays PGs in the range we each mentioned. But I checked around and you are right - there is indeed another "level" of PG which earns as you note - 800 to 1,000 or so per day.

Word has it that many of the girls are told to give out phone numbers which simply lead to a general number at the car company, which is obviously a dead end. But others surely must give out the real numbers as well.

Anyhow the Motor Expo is over, so I suppose this thread will fade away as well. That is, until March, when PG mania strikes again.

Cheers,

froggo

Archived