nice refrigerator

the ability for stuff in the fridge not to permeate smells into things in the freezer

This happens to be one of the features on Samsung - duel sealed units. Second they are built to be used in Thailand's weather which units sold in Europe or North America are unlikely to be. But really wasn't upset by your comment - just wondered as Samsung is quite new to the Thai market.

Although designer type items are often available on a grey market basis here there will be no real service or replacement parts available later and the price will be sky high compared to mainline market items.

Am not a beer drinker but Singha was only the leader because it was the only choice IMHO (others were even worse). From what I have heard Chang is a big step forward in taste. If it were just a case of price why didn't Leo Beer make it?

If it were just a case of price why didn't Leo Beer make it?

Leo didnt make it? Didn't know that. Was under the impression Leo was made by Singha and was their response to beer Chang (cheap). Interesting to hear about the Samsung features; I would have never guessed.

I did see HomePro has Smeg, but they want 90000 baht for a medium size unit (what I want). That's double what it can be found at in other countries; looks like some kind of tariff issue is going to be in play for higher end stuff.

Well, my search has ended. The good news is you CAN find nice stuff. I found smeg at 4 places and even a sub-zero dealer at The Promenade. There's basically two problems. The first is there is no stock or maybe 1 if you are lucky. This means you most likely either have to settle for something you don't necessarily like or wait 2-3 MONTHS to order what you do like and go off a picture in a catalog. The other problem is price. I don't mind spending a lot, just as long as it's a good deal (i.e. not a lot more than the next guy). However, prices are just about double that of other countries so when you are talking about something that's already outrageously expensive and marked up, doubling feels like highway robbery. I only need a small one having just 60cm's of width to work with and ideal Sub-Zero runs 440,000 baht and smeg 115,000; neither of which are in stock in bangkok. There is also price fixing; of the 4 dealers, I was quoted exactly the same price for smeg every place.

So I've decided to stay with my tiny, chincy fridge that needs defrosted occasionally that was stocked in my condo. It's a little cramped, but it works and it's free ;).

Come into this a bit late - but biggest range of refrigerators I have seen is in Emporium department store, everything except SMEG and Sub Zero - fantastic range of stuff and includes all the top end stuff from Samsung, GE, Whirlpool, Electrolux all retailing at over 100,000 baht. really neat National (Panasonic) fridge freezer with the freezer below the fridge which is rare here - runs around 20,000baht with stainless front door. Sales guy reckons Electrolux best for service (but expensive), Japanese (sharp & national) best overall and Samsung,LG, Whirlpool all unreliable. I can second the opinion on Whirlpool - there service sucks in Thailand and I have constant problems with one Whirlpool washing machine and a Whirlpool fridge - Zanussi has been great for me for washing machines.

Cheers

By the way Emproium also sells Smeg, but by catalog only--they don't stock any so it just looks like they don't carry them. Shopping is often an impulse decision so when their strategy is to tell interested customers they can't check out the look and feel, have to wait 3 months to get one, and also have to pay double the rate outside thailand, makes me wonder how successful they will be. Checked the official smeg showroom on sukhumvit and it has 2 units which are the only two I discovered in the whole city. A scratched up hot pink one offered at a discount and a bright red one. The only other possibility I was thinking was to import myself to cut down the lead time and cost but I don't really know how possible/practical that would be.

Archived