New Year`s Eve in HK ?

dsab

Hey Guys,

me and my wife will be in HK for the new Year. I know that New Year itself is not a big deal there, but what can I expect ? What would you recommend to do New Years Eve ? Maybe someone knows a nice restaurant, or something else to do...

THX,

Daniel

On the contrary New year is pretty good in Hong Kong there will be plenty to do. Although Chinese New Year is the big holiday its much more a family thing. So New Year is celebrated, plus you still have a big expat population there who use any excuse for a party (I think the weekend is usually the biggext excuse :drunk:).

The biggest party will be in Lan Kwai Fong if you are not familiar with Hong Kong its one of the big bar/restaurant areas in Central. They close the area off to traffic and there will be a big party that spills out from the bars into the streets. You should have seen the area for Halloween it was absolute mayhem there was a one way pedestrian system all the way around the central area there were so many people.

The other areas that should be good would be Knutsford terrace area in Tsim Tsa Tsui. And the Wan Chai area.

As for restaurants there are hundreds of them, what sort of place would you be looking for ? What area are you staying in ?

If you are feeling posh & flush, Felix in the Penninsula would be a nice place to go. Besides, one has to go to the Gents there once in their life :)

As Stars said, let us know more about your $$ threshold and interests. He lives there now and I lived there in 2001-02, so we'll have ideas. HK is a really great place to be, one of my top 3 favs, but spendy.

Cheers,

SD

For stuff that is going on in HK over Xmas and New Year try here

Hk Tourist Board

Agree with Suadam Felix at the Penninsula is a must see, the view over the harbour is spectacular particularly at Christmas when all the buildings are lit up with Christmas lights if you do not want to go for dinner you should just go for a drink at the bar. And the bathroom..... well what can I say you just have to go see.

If you are feeling posh & flush, Felix in the Penninsula would be a nice place to go.

I second the posh & flush view.

IMHO Felix is overpriced and over rated.... food is nothing to write home about, drink prices are a joke and the service is wank. Taken various clients there for the view/toilet reason and have always been dissapointed.

EXAMPLE

Was in there 3 weeks ago with the Jap GF (to see the illustrious view) and was asked to leave having already had our drinks order taken and deliverd to the main bar area. The reason ..... for wearing a fine pair of Italian, opened toed sandals. Needless to say both my attire and certainly my gf's were well above the market average from what we could see whilst comparing against the "noveux riche" punters in there.

IF you want to see the best view of the Harbour then pop into the Marco Polo carpark just beside Ocean Terminal. Much better and you dont have to pay the premium of rubbing shoulders with the arrogant HK Hi-So brigade and paying an extortionate price for a beer. :banghead:

From the carpark, having witnessed the harbour view, stroll over to take the Star Fery, upper deck/first class, across the harbour for the princely sum of approx 15 baht per ticket.

As for LQF.... Im not sure. New Year in Lang Kwai Fong is again overpriced and heaving but if thats your bag then go for it and lap it up. Great place to people watch with all the beautiful people. Good flipper band in Insomnia or if your an extravert then get into Hardy's II for some impromptu Karaoke!

If you want to find a more sedate street (if one can find a sedate street in Hong Kong during New years) try up in Mid-levels along Staunton Street and the other streets running parallel. Lots of nice bars/restaurants!

Enjoy :drunk:

LOL, but as far as loos go, my Chinese-Thai wife was far more impressed with the solid gold one in the <I-forget-the-name> jewelry factory.

But that's prolly because of the nautral affinity that her kind have for yellow shiney metal ::

Cheers,

SD

Archived