car rental - feasable or stupid?

Hi

I'm an photographer that is planning on taking a trip in Dec to photograph the Khmer temples in and and around Korat, Buriram, and Surin for a week or so. I need to get a 'rest' between my bouts of fun, but am also interested in getting a long haired translator to take along too. Now the problem - I need to have the mobility to be at the sites at the right times of the day, so public transportation is pretty much out. Early morning and late afternoon are the prime times. How crazy is it to rent a car in BKK or Pattaya to do this trip or should I use local drivers. The guide books are pretty negative as to finding good drivers,etc. Thanks

Ringmaster

I wouldn't recommend driving in any country until you have adjusted to the conditions. That being said I drive all the time in LOS and find that other Thai drivers have improved vastly over the years mainly due to the improved road systems. Up country driving is much easier than BKK of course and most places are well sign posted. The big rental companies like Avis and Budget have competitive rates both in BKK and all over Thailand.

Cheers,

I don't think it's all that hard to find a driver. If you have a few days in BKK before you head for the country side just check with the taxi drivers out in front of the hotel. Also, although they'll come up with extra charges I'm sure it's will still probably be cheaper than renting a vehicle.

ringmaster

Member # 1321

Skip Surin/Burriram and go to Si Saket.

Go to a town called Kantaralak.

from there go to Preah Vihear in Cambodia (no visa needed) .

Kantaralak Palace Hotel 400b. Motorcycle to Preah Vihear (40km, 1 hr, 250 baht). The park is open 8am-4pm. No border formalities as you travel into Cambodia beyond the temple. The Thais /US have built a fast and modern highway. Preah Vihear was built by the Khmers between 900 and 1150.

If Angkor Wat is better it must be unbelievable.

I have been there 3 times,2,000 people and me the only farang.

Half way up a shot down USA helicopter.

Almost inaccessible from Cambodia,no road just jungle.

Awarded to Cambodia by the World Court? 1956.

Bring a hat, towel and plenty of film.

A comfortable pair of shoes you will be climbing narrow steep steps,easier going up than coming down.

Hire a car in Pattaya for a 1,000 a day and take it easy (no tailgating).

If you turn off before Si Saket some stretches of road were very bad (before Kantaralak) but it can add to the experience.

The Thais Don,t advertise it.

Up to 2 years ago your passport/ID was taken by the Thai military 3 km from the border.

I think the Cambodian side was the last stronghold /hiding place for the Khmer Rouge.

Make sure to go there.

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: sinsin ]

First time I went there was 4 years ago we could access so far and no further, ie not as far as the Temple because of Khmer Rouge in the area.

Each time I've been the military have taken my passport.

The Helicopter was actually a supply helicopter that crashed as it was taking off.

Not American but a Cambodian Airforce one, either of Russian or Chinese make. I have some photos somewhere I'll try to find them and i.d. it. I was there the day after the crash, 2-3 years ago.

If you think you need a driver most of the smaller companies do deals with drivers.That would be safer than some unknown taxi driver who hangs around outside hotels making a living from ripping off tourists.

Driving outside BKK is not a major problem as long as you remember get out of the way of the lorry thundering towards you in your lane.

On my most recent trip I rented a car in Khon Kaen, and drove around the Isaan province.

I have to say there were no problems whatsoever.

I had purchased a decent road map at BKK airport which turned out to be very accurate.

The car was excellent.

Petrol was cheap and even in remote parts, no difficulty finding a gas station.

Signs were nearly all in English as well as Thai.

AND best of all, they drive on the correct side of the road!!!

I intend to do something similar on my next trip. I understand ones reluctance, but somehow it just isn't the same if you aren't behind the wheel yourself.

Paul

Just one note of caution about driving, its safe enough during the day provided you don't let the idiot truck drivers with their passing antics get to you, but I don't drive at night in the country (if I can avoid it). Half the drivers are high on Yaa Baa and or booze and it just becomes unpleasant driving trying to keep out of their way.

Archived