car rental - feasable or stupid?

Wow, what a response!!

I'm very grateful to all yuor replies. I had all my questions answered but keep the comments comming. I had planned on hitting Preah Vihear too, that's why I want to take a week. I need to visit sites several times early/late, stop alongside the road when a photo crops up so the car sounds like a good idea. I had planned on getting it from a major renter - avis/budget along with all the required insurance for safety. I have driven in Thailand before (Phuket) but not extensively. The info about the signs is a big help - what is a good map to get? I have a Collins 'Thailand" map at 1:1,500,000 but it may not be detailed enough?

ringmaster smile.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

Michelin Map nr 965 (Thailand) is not too shabby, 1:370 000. You'll find it in any "Asia Books" bookstore, and prolly at home as well! http://www.asiabooks .com/

-- IMHO (in my humble opinion), driving upcountry is no problem at all daytime...it's probably, however, wise advice to not rent the car in BKK if you are a novice to this city. Getting out of BKK is a nightmare if you have not spent a reasonable amount of time here (e.g. there are no signs on the highway telling you if you are going Northbound or Soutbound, etc -- not to mention that it it'll take you the same time JUST to leave BKK, as to get from BKK city limit to Khon Kaen). The traffic "flow" here is just something else :-)

If I were you, I *would* rent a car on my own...it'll without any doubt give you the most freedom to work as you please. And it is truly "no ploblem"! ;-)

Archived