Help! My fiancees mother does not like me...

MaakSiDa

Help! My fiancees mother does not like me (even though, that she never met, or even spoke to me)...

She has several prejudices against men and 'farang'. I would like to meet my financees parents soon and don't want to risk anything.

So, how can I make a good impression on my future in-laws, especially my fiancees mother ?

She is very well educated, working as primary school teacher. She doesn't like men, though and is somewhat reserved

towards 'farang'. Her daughter, my fiancee had some bad experience in the past, loosing 200,000 baht to a guy (Thai),

and her mom had to pay!

Of course, the mother is very cautious now, as to relationships of her daughter. Her father, on the other hand isn't against a relationship

of his daughter with a Westerner.

How can I save the day and my future marriage ?

::

give Mom 200K upfront :rolleyes:

seriously that's a rather nebulous question with very little background. How do you know she doesn't like you if you have never even spoke.? :dunno:

looks like the dislike is "generic" rather than specific, in which case you have a lot of hope. We all have prejudices that can be over come by direct contact. Meet her, be polite, respectful, well turned out etc. Take a nice gift, don't be pushy, listen to her...what ever it takes. Don't expect her to change over night, but with luck, time and patience she will thaw, especially if she see's that you have her daughters best interests at heart (as she will have).

What you want to carefully avoid is turning the dislike from generic to specific!

-j-

Hi,

"that her mom wasn't 'amused' about her daughter having a relationship with a Westerner."

The same was true for my father when he heard about my (then) GF, until he met her that is. He adores her now.

The thing is she is no longer some Asian / Thai girl, she is now family. Big difference.

Sanuk!

I am still seeing a girl whose father refused to meet me as he did not like falang. Now she says he does not mind us so much since he met a few! She might like you when she meets you. Find out what her interests are and flatter the old cow, if that does not work talk sinsot-peter

Archived