Origin of Sukhumvit

Crash999

It has been mentioned before but I forget the details but I'm pretty sure it's the name of a high ranking official when the original road was built. Keep in mind that when these roads were originally built roadworks were defintely the poor relation of railways and canals as far as transport in the Kingdom was concerned

• 2 weeks later...
daeng bireley said:

Honarary names were often given like titles usually an exotic sounding sanskrit name with a flowery meaning.

I'm quite sure the Sukh- in the name is the same as in the town Sukhotai ("Dawn of Happiness"), meaning happiness. Not sure about the -umvit though.

markle said:

Keep in mind that when these roads were originally built roadworks were defintely the poor relation of railways and canals as far as transport in the Kingdom was concerned

I'm straying a bit here, but I read in some historical records that the Thais could not be persuaded to be employed in roadworks, since they didn't want to dirty themselves with muck and dust. The engineers could only find Chinese willing to do the job. The same was true when the first railway tracks were laid. As Trink always says, "Any comment is superfluous".

I'm straying a bit here, but I read in some historical records that the Thais could not be persuaded to be employed in roadworks, since they didn't want to dirty themselves with muck and dust. The engineers could only find Chinese willing to do the job. The same was true when the first railway tracks were laid. As Trink always says, "Any comment is superfluous".

And I'm sure the same was true of the White Americans when it came to building the American railways. As I always say "Trink is a dickhead".

Archived