Cambodia day trip?

Old Hippie

Old Hippie

There doesn't seem to be a lot of response, so I'll just throw out the following.

I've never seen any "package deals" for day trips to Cambodia. By bus it takes 4 hours each way. And that doesn't give you much time to see anything, get a meal, etc. So, I think any kind of "tour" for the day is unlikely.

I may be making a one-day trip in about 3 weeks. I'm in California right now and will arrive BKK on the 26th. If I go to the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border for the day, it will probably be around the 30th--or the 1st of Oct. I did the 1-day thing last fall. Looooong day :-( Left at 7 in the morning and got back at 7 at night. Met my Khmer tilac's parents at the Aranyaprathet market.

If you're doing a visa run, I guess it's pretty easy and straight forward. You can email me at chongnoi@hotmail.com and discuss your interest further if you like. I might be able to give you more definitive info.

You can go to Siem Reap by bus from Poi Pet but the road very bad!! If you want more convenient you can go by plane.I know new airline fly from BKK-Phnom Penh-Siem Reap and price is cheaper than TG and Bangkok Airways.

The easiest way would be to go to Poipet with any one of the many visa services that operate out of Bangkok. IMO a much better trip would be to go to Koh Kong, spend the night there, and return the next day. The best hotel in Koh Kong is 300 baht ($7.50) per night and I have always enjoyed my trips there. Poipet, on the other hand, has to be the worst city to visit in all Cambodia :-) I put details for the overland trip to Koh Kong in my trip report, Cambodia The Hard Way, it is about traveling from Pattaya but it's even easier to make the trip from Ekamai in Bangkok. Give it a try, I think that you will have a great time.

Went to Poipet last Thurs on my M Cysle, left home at 6 AM and back home by 1.15 PM. Worst aspect is getting rid of all the beggers, kids with umbrellas and "helpers". Maybe best to do what The Thai officials at the immigration do, they had a BB gun and when they get too near they just shot a few pellets in their arse. Got my visa at the border, simple job of 5 mins and went over, brought a couple of bottles of Finlandia Wodka and went back home. I don't mind paying a "helper" if he has all the forms and I pay someone to look after the MC while it parked. This time no "short stay Fee" and while there seemed to be 30/40 large tourist buses and small tourist vans around, no delays at any of the immigration counters.

Archived