Visa 90 day check-in?

Miscalculation on my part almost cost me 2000 baht last Wednesday.

They have a little chart they look at to calculate days. Mine came up 98- that's the 90 plus 7 days grace plus one day overstay. She stuck out her hand, 2000 baht. I said no, count on the calendar, 97 days.

We counted twice, using my method. That is: I arrived on Oct 21. I counted to Oct 22 as being 1 day. They were counting, probably correctly, as that being two days.

Since I seemed confident, was polite and used my best broken and shattered Thai, they had a conference of three people and said that their card had a problem because it started in 2004, but now was 2005 (or '47-'48).

Everbody saved face, got my stamp and they clearly pointed out the next day that I'm supposed to report.

Lotsa pairs of purples going over the counter while I was there.

BTW: room 401, Suan Phluu (sp?). Simple form that can be returned by REGISTERED mail, also.

• 2 weeks later...

Good info here form the original poster. Remember, unless you've a coveted perm res or a Non Imm O pretty much your a visa run person, That is pretty general...If you are not going to work and are 50 with 25,000 UDS 800,000 to show and about a dozen other peices of paper in triplicate the Kingdom is yours. Do remember about the exit permit. Any immi office will stamp you but no stamp and an exit means new visa time.....I'm spot on as I have just done the deed from an offince outside Thailand. I'm plan on doing my extensions in Thailand. I heard it takes just a bit of time in Patong ( my destination). Note that for me it will be about three trips between home to Patong to get all things sorted. One tip is to get you palce of residence established at you local embassy so you can get a DL. No problem with your home DL, and INt'l permit and some more paper work as you be good to go with just an eye test. Having a DL is almostg as good as a Thai citizens ID card. You'll be able to produce ID if challanged and it will have your passport number......I hear you get some discounts like air fare for Thais etc as the DL can been recognized as proof of your residence since you need some kind of visa to stay.

Also, I've been told, that is the coppers stop you you are mcuh more likely to fare well in the deal with a Thai DL!

MadStockBroker said:

Does anybody know if the 7 day grace period is still in effect?

My 90 day notification period ends on March 7th but I am leaving on a trip on March 11th. I am assuming that there is no need to register at Immigration on 7th (as I usually do) since I will leave the country within the grace period.

Thanks,

7 day still operational. See my post a couple above this one.

Rickfarang...How many other folks were taking a seminar on next time. I heard that all past sins are removed when changing over to Buddist. I have the string on my wrist from a Temple in Patong for over 6 months and still figure I need to "Make Merit"

Archived