Visa 90 day check-in?

I tried the search function, but as I figured, it has taken me a long time to sort through the results, and still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I have a one-year "B" multi-entry visa. It says that after moving I have a week to "notify" the authorites. It also says that I must notify the authorities as to my whereabouts every 3 months. Well, it's time for that, but WHERE precisely do I go to do that? I guess I need to bring proof of residence--ie lease agreement, etc...

Also, that visa is designed for work, not tourism, but after 3 months am still not working. Might this cause me any problems with the Thai authorites?

Thanks guys.

There is a form to fill in that is avalilable at local Immigration Center. I believe that you do not need anythig like alease, just fill in the form.

Do you just have a Non-Imm B (or O) visa or that and a work permit? If a woork permit, how exactly did you get it without a job??? Those permits are sponsored by a company at a significant cost. If you do not take the job, they usually cancel the visa.

If just a Non-Imm B (or O) visa, then you do not have to work, but you have the option. And you cannot work with just the visa, you need the work permit as well.

BTW, DO NOT forget that with your visa you may have to have a re-entry permit before you leave Thailand or the remaining time on the visa is void.

Cheers,

SD

PS: Congrats on the new place. We'll have to get together at a pub and hoist a few in honor of it! :D

The immigration bureau in Bangkok is on Sathorn Roda, Soi Suan Pluu

Its on the left side of the street next to the Suan Pluu poilce station, the opposite side of the street from a nearby 7-11 store.

I think you can just get into a taxi and say "Soi Suan Pluu" and get there ok. If in doubt, go with a Thai who can explain its the immigration office (I did).

If you are upcountry, you can go to the local immigration office.

If there is no immigration office near where you are staying, you can send a letter to the Bureau at the address below.

Section 4 (Record & Statistics)

Subdivision 4, Immigration Bureau,

Room 311, 3rd Floor, Old Building

Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road

Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120

I am pretty sure that you are required to appear in person (don't forget your passport in case they care) if you are living in Bangkok or in a city that has an immigration office.

As far as not having a job yet -you are only reporting where it is that you live. You are not under any obligation to raise any other issues, and it is unlikely that anyone will care to ask. Just fill out the form and turn it it.

Good luck.

RickF

"I have a one-year "B" multi-entry visa. "

What date does your last entry stamp say you must leave Thailand? Do you have a stamp that says you are allowed to stay in Thailand for a year?

I guess it is possible, but have never heard of someone getting a Non-Imm B in Thailand (that allowed them to stay a year) without a job. The fact that you do not know where Immigration is suggests to me that you have never been there and you are here on externally issued Non-Imm B and only have a 90 day entry stamp.

TH

Loner -

ThaiHome is right - once you are inside Thailand, forget about your visa. What matters to you is your entry permit. Upon arrival into Thailand with a Class B visa, the longest entry pernit you can get is 90 days - so after that, you need to do a visa run outside Thailand, to get a new entry permit.

Under this sceanario, the 90 day reporting rule does not apply to you. It only applies if you get an entry permit extension - on the basis of employment and a work permit.

In that case, every 90 days you are supposed to report your present address to Immigration at Soi Suan Phlu - upstairs, 4th Floor, room 401. Ittakes 5 minutes - fill out one form. You do NOT have to appear in person - someone else can bring your passport there for verification. They then staple a receipt inside.

Up to now, if you never initiate reporting, they never catch or care about you. Once you start reporting, you must keep reporting, or face a fine if caught. I think it is only a matter of time before they "turn on" enforcement of this provision - and then 100,000 whining farangs (80% of whom knew about the rule, but blew it off) will all have to pay a 2,000 baht fine.

I predict this sceanrio plays out in 2004. I can already hear the whining :(

SS

• 8 months later...
StoneSoup said:

In that case, every 90 days you are supposed to report your present address to Immigration at Soi Suan Phlu - upstairs, 4th Floor, room 401. Ittakes 5 minutes - fill out one form. You do NOT have to appear in person - someone else can bring your passport there for verification. They then staple a receipt inside.

Up to now, if you never initiate reporting, they never catch or care about you. Once you start reporting, you must keep reporting, or face a fine if caught. I think it is only a matter of time before they "turn on" enforcement of this provision - and then 100,000 whining farangs (80% of whom knew about the rule, but blew it off) will all have to pay a 2,000 baht fine.

SS

I know that this has been discussed in depth before, with testimonials from both sides of the issue.

I just went through the renewal of my work permit, extension of visa and can advise that Immigration was extremely interested in this requirement now. I noticed that almost everyone at the "One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit" office (yes that is it's official name) was queuing to pay the fine (there is a special desk).

I normally travel enough that I don't have a problem but this year I could not be bothered to leave the country within the last 90 days and that cost me THB 2000.

Any one else have different experience (recently)?

The next step is that they would be collecting the fines at the airport as people depart. Now that would be interesting!

Cheers!

• 4 months later...
Pom Michael said:
StoneSoup said:

SS

I know that this has been discussed in depth before, with testimonials from both sides of the issue.

I just went through the renewal of my work permit, extension of visa and can advise that Immigration was extremely interested in this requirement now. I noticed that almost everyone at the "One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit" office (yes that is it's official name) was queuing to pay the fine (there is a special desk).

I normally travel enough that I don't have a problem but this year I could not be bothered to leave the country within the last 90 days and that cost me THB 2000.

Any one else have different experience (recently)?

The next step is that they would be collecting the fines at the airport as people depart. Now that would be interesting!

Cheers!

A guy in my office was over at Suan Phlu today to report his address.

Apparently, there is a 7 day grace period after the 90 days.

Today was day 8 for him.

Cost him 2000 baht!

He said they spoke very good English at this particular section and wouldn't hear any of his arguments about it being cheaper to illegally be here than to be here legally, but not report one's address.

He also asked her what would happen if he just walked out and pretended he had never come in (BTW, he was out of the country and re-entered in October, so he wasn't re-reporting, he was first time reporting). He said she told him maybe the police would find him and arrest him. Thought his response was kinda funny- he asked, "How? You don't know where I live."!

>>>Any one else have different experience (recently)? <<<

never did the 90 day reporting. the last time i renewed my visa at the one stop center the officers were friendly enough not to fine me, but told me that if i don't report, or leave within the next 90 days, they will apply the fine the next time.

they said that from now on that rule is going to be enforced, and there is nothing they can do about.

the one stop center is generally far more tolerant than the normal immigration office, as it is only open for priviledged professions.

Archived