Over-reacting and how to proceed

ultras67

ok guys, i need some advice.

Basically a bar in PP tried to do me out of 170B change.

I went late to a bar - about 1.45am and got a girl in their backroom, when I was occupied they gave me back change from my checkbin. When I was finished I noticed the tray was light 170B and went out to get the rest.

They claimed the owner had gone home with the till - he might have done as I couldnt see him - and I was to come back tomorrow. After making a fuss, one of the girls then gave me 100B and said come back again for the rest tomorrow, at that point I blew my top ( which is unusual for me ) and ranted it was my money and I wanted it there and then, the girls just basically then put on a show for looking for extra money for 5 minutes. I told them to forget it and I was going to tell all my friends never to come back to the bar, I wasnt going to come back to the bar, post on the internet to the world never to come to the bar and so on.

In the cold light of day, I admit I over reacted slightly for in the end 70B but I dont see why they should be allowed to grab themselves extra tips. The problem is though, the girl I was with, I quite liked and had seen her a few times and would like to see her again.

Should I

a) never go back, plenty more fish in the sea etc

B) go back as if nothing had happened

c) go back and try to get my money

d) phone the girl to see if she will meet me outside the bar - I had tried to get her to wait the 10minutes or so to go long time but she wouldnt without the BF being paid.

Cheers

ultras67 said:

In the cold light of day, I admit I over reacted slightly for in the end 70B but I dont see why they should be allowed to grab themselves extra tips.

Overreacted? No! As a point of principle, you should get a gallon of petrol, go back and burn the place to the ground. :neener:

P.S. Only joking...

ultras67,

You're not going to get your money back, and you'll certainly not get an apology. Best forget it and vote with your feet.

I was just in Indonesia and had a similar situation happen at a disco (they knew me as I've been a regular customer over a period of 3 years). I was waiting on change from the waiter (about 250B), and he kept telling me to wait, wait, wait. Then he disappeared. When I asked another waiter about it, he brought over a manager. The manager found the original waiter, but he denied owing me any change. I raised a fuss and got no response. I raised a bigger fuss and finally just got pissed off and left. I was in a foul mood for a bit, but finally decided to forget about it and went to different disco and had a blast.

I know there's a principle involved and it pisses me off when I'm cheated (whether it's 5 Baht or 500 Baht), but sometimes you just gotta let it go.

Ranger

I would do a) and d). You have realized your mistake. Big displays of anger is something that generally doesn't get results here. But now that you swore up and down that you would never go back to the bar, you gotta keep your word and not give them any more of your business. Going back and talking with the manager is in all probability not going to result in you getting any money back and only going to get you frustrated. Not worth it for 70B.

I agree with your reaction -it really p*sses me off when someone helps themeslves to something that isn't theirs. I think its called stealing.

If you go back and try to get 70 baht back, it would be making a mountain out of a molehill - you've already made your point.

It would go with B) go back as if nothing had happened.

But I would keep track of the tab and count my change carefully promptly from then on. You might have over-reacted that night, but at least they will remember you and are likely to treat you much better the next time you come in.

By the way, which bar was it, so we can be on our toes if we decide to risk it?

RickF

It would be great if you would tell us what bar ripped you 0ff for the $4 u s, maybe we could all profit from this info.

I always try and get my change right away, that way you have a chance of getting the right amount.

I have found the kings group nickle and dime you to death and its not worth the hassel to make a stink about it; but again if you let it slide they are more inclinded to do it to the next person. ::

In Patong two weeks ago I was short-changed with 100 baht, but I saw it immediately. Sent the tray back to the cashier. Tray came back, still 100 baht short. Now I was really getting a bit pissed off (I have noted that this happens more easily to me after my first ten beers). Finally got correct change. Very demonstratively did not leave any tip, but I came back the day after as if nothing has happened.

I would definitely go for (B). You like one of the girls there so why should you let some stupid cashier make it more difficult for you to see her. And I am sure that they are very used to over-reacting customers, especially if they short-change like this on a regular basis.

Archived