Do You Take Advantage of your Command of Thai?

Pescator

>>>But every time I use gin around my wife's partner I cringe realizing it is not really polite enough.<<<

in that aspect it seems to be a real advantage if one's missus's folks are a bunch of peckerwoods and thai-hillbillies. ::

>>>as a result I'll receive the ubiquitous "poot thai chaht."<<<

those comments of my thai skills :doah:...on good days people have thought i am a thai from suphanburi (dunno why's that, have never been there) who has lived in the west for a long time, on my bad days my stutter comes through very strong.

i got people saying that i speak great (rubbish - i still have a lot to learn), and i even had others who said that my thai really sucks (but i guess that was just some potshot at the farang).

>>>I'd laugh with them if it wasn't becoming more and more true each day. <<<

the same appearantly happens to thais who have lived a long time in the west - it appears that they lose their pronounciation skills of the tones.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daek or dairk is one I never use. Thankfully I was never around anyone who used it as a matter of course so I learned it like any other vocabulary word. Same with the pronouns "goo" and "mung." I even have trouble remembering which is which and that probably keeps me out of trouble.

Although one time at a party I overheard a verbal brawl between one of our Thai dive staff and his ex-GF (she really screwed him over). I don't know what proceeded it but she said something to the effect that he'd never get someone as beautiful as her again to which he made a reply I'll never forget. "Dteen pom suay gwa nah mung eek!" At which point the ex just had a mealt down in front of everyone. It really was pretty funny. But I'm glad there weren't any knives lying about. :grinyes:

>>>"Dteen pom suay gwa nah mung eek!" <<<

you really seem to have some problem with the goo/mueng thing. ::

he must have said definately: "deen GOO suay gwa nah mueng" :p

i just love that goo/mueng, to the great shock (and amusement) of others me and the missus regularly adress ourselves that way.

i had a great laugh the other day when she was all proper at the airport. at the security check i was asking her "tirak, motoe goo u nai?" she blushed mumbling swearwords while the security people tried to supress their chuckles (i was speaking very polite thai with them just a moment before).

ahh the fun... :p

but you can only do that if your polite thai is working also, otherwise people might get wrong impressions, don't laugh about the joke, but at the farang.

don't worry, hang with me for a while and you'll be fluent in the worst gutter thai. ::

only your wife might have a problem with that. i actually have several friends whose wives ask 'em when they come home with a new funny phrase if they been hanging with me again. :o ::

the same appearantly happens to thais who have lived a long time in the west - it appears that they lose their pronounciation skills of the tones.

It's called 'lin kang' (hard tounge) of course there are some that lose it much more readily than others. Nothing cooler than appearing to have spent so much time OS that you can't speak Thai properly any more.

Hi,

"I can't think of any situation where using goo/mueng would be approproate"

My wife go insulted by a motorcycle taxi yesterday for being with a farang. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I did not hear the remark, but if I had goo / mueng would definitely have been appropriated in my reply.

Sanuk!

Archived