Jasmine Suites- a not yet discovered gem

jigger

Am staying in Jasmine again now. Spent 5 weeks here during AUG/SEP and never had any trouble with anything missing from the safe but then I only keep small amounts of cash at a time in there (which I count daily).

On a monthly rate a 63 SQM 1bdrm is actually just over 1900 baht/day.

Never stayed in a studio but they must have a different design than the 1bdrms. Despite the many showers I take a day I rarely if ever have even 1 drop of water on the floor! And this includes when all the BGs take their showers as well - again there is NEVER any flooding - EVER. Actually the only time I did flood the bathroom floor was when I was taking a nice hot bath in their HUGE bath tub and let the water get WAY too high (but it sure felt good).

The aircon is also very quiet and works all to well (I have them unlock the windows to balance the air and also air out my suite as I smoke (way too much).

I sill love the place - 2 large flat screen TVs, a stereo/CD/VCD player, full kitchen, huge bath, GREAT views, 24 hr high speed Internet access, the suite is beautiful and new, great security, and all the employees seem to know your name (but hopefully not my safe contents)...

Dishonest employees regrettably can be found anywhere. Very glad Smokey made his report so all can be more vigilant.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stump Dog,

There's a nice computer hutch desk area in the suites where they have a CAT 5 plug and they provide a CAT 5 cable to connect to your laptop (I also bring my own CAT 5 cable just in case).

I've misplaced my receipt right now but the monthly rate for 24 hour access was about 2000 baht. The speed shows as 100 Mbps and at Thai sites one might get that speed however when accessing overseas sites through their ISPs DNS server the speed is a bit slower however its still MUCH faster than any internet cafe I've ever used.

I also brought wireless cards with me and they do have wireless in the lobby area but not up in the rooms.

Will try it out tomorrow myself, as i have a one night over inbetween pattaya and manila. Im only in a studio though and got it through www.accomodationline.com last minute deals at around @US75.00. It wasn't worth going for a suite when i will probually be only in the room for a few hours. If i like it i may return to a suite on a future trip. Couldn't be bothered looking at all the different sites and wanted to try somewhere different.

SD,

It looks just like a std phone plug (but is actually an RJ-45 connector), most laptops should have them already. If your laptop is old maybe you only have a modem for making dial up connections in which case you would need to buy a PCMCIA card ($50-100 or so) assuming you have a PCMCIA slot. You might also have a USB network connector in which case you'd need a converter - likewise, if your laptop ONLY has builtin wireless you could use a wireless to cat 5 converter for that but they can be pricy (a PCMCIA card would be cheaper).

I'm afraid I can only respond 'in general', not knowing exactly what you have. Assuming you have a laptop and know its model, you could just do Google searches on that model name with the phrase network connections appened to the model name in the search engine window, then, just scan and read all the seemingly irrelevant results and in time you'll learn enough to ask specific (and pertinent) questions at a CompUSA store for example.

My suggestion would be to take your laptop to a nearby PC type store and just say you want to be able to use it to connect to a hotel's available network connection - which might be cat 5 or even 802.11g wireless - to be sure you buy the right thing and get the best value for your money.

When I checked in, I found that the cat5 I carry with

me did not work. The frontdesk provided one (which turned out to be a "crossover cable") which worked fine.

With the right cable, you plug in and it just works.

This assumes your Network Interface is set to automatically

set the interface address and other parameters.

They only charged me 150B per day for the internet.

The Taipan Hotel down Soi23 charge 890B per day.

Hi Jigger,

Talking about recommendations in this general area, last month I stayed 5 days at the four star Taipan hotel some 200 m further down Soi 23. At 1.400 bht a day I found it to be a very good deal for sure. In fact it was the best hotel I have ever stayed at. (yes, I am a cheapskate) :)

And a very convenient location if you are a SC addict. ::

It is very guest friendly as well. The girls have to deposit the Bat Prachachon at the desk, however, no joiner fees or the like.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Im at The Jasmine now. Nice place. The front desk provided me with a highspeed lan cable but whatever I did it wouldn't work. Should just be able to plug in and your online. (worked for me previously at the Conrad and Pres Solitaire)

In the end I got my old dialup cable out and connected to my old loxinfo card from last April. I was surprised I had any credit left or that it would be past its expiry date.

The guy from downstairs came up and was surprised at what I had jigged up. He didn't look very please that I had moved the phone to the bedside table. There are actually two jacks at the work station but the middle one is dead.

Mind you my Acer laptop is all clogged up with crap and my IT consultant will reboot my internet programs when I go home so it could be part of the problem.

Archived