Is Thai Airlines most dangerous to fly to US?

rickfarang

From Today's The Nation:

"But what is troublesome is Thaksin's refusal to place armed guards on flights departing from Bangkok because of what he says are adequate airport security checks. Overconfidence can be lethal, especially when it comes to the security of the public."

Not only that, but that statement amounted to and declaration to the world that Thai Airways will be a little less secure than other airlines flying out of BKK. :: ::

Am I just being paranoid to avoid flying Thai outside the country? :(

RickF

Wasn't the PM the target when a flight from BKK to CNX blew up at the gate a year or two back? That's why I found his comments interesting, plus the way he apparently speaks, off the cuff, for the airline. And yeah, I think some people felt he shoudn't have broadcast that message.

Security at Don Muang doesn't seem too tight, and Thai's security at the Narita transit point looks the same as anyone else's, as far as I can tell. Not that I wouldn't feel safe on TG, I'd be more worried about my flight to the US being cancelled at the last minute by the US govt.

That was a fuel tank fire caused by improper fueling procedure.

Are you sure of that? I follow stuff like this closely since I live and travel in Asia and I recall explosives on a parked jet detonated killing some ground staff. And the press reported that the target was the PM who was scheduled to travel on TG at about that time. Like I said, I am going off memory on this one but this is the first time I heard that the explosion was mechanical/procedure related. Was that discovered well after-the-fact? Thanks.

As far as the original poster's question. I would be more concerned with the recent deteriorating quality of service on TG than of something terror related. It's reached the point that I only take the TG "redeye" so I can sleep through the experience. JMHO.

3 March 2001; Thai Airways International 737-400; Bangkok, Thailand: The aircraft was destroyed by an explosion and fire that occurred shortly before the Prime Minister of Thailand and about 150 others were to board the flight. One flight attendant was killed by the explosion and fire. While early reports indicated that this 737 was destoyed by a bomb, subsequent investigation revealed that center wing fuel tank had exploded.

According to an NTSB press release of 11 April 2001, the FBI was unable to find any trace of an explosive. The NTSB also stated in this press release that CVR recording from the recent explosion had features that were similar to recorded features of a Philippine Airlines 737-300 center wing fuel tank explosion in May 1990.

This would mark the third time in the last few years that a fatal center fuel tank has been suspected on an airliner. Like the 17 July 1996 event involving TWA Flight 800, the air conditioning packs on the Thai aircraft had been in operation on the ground. These packs on both the 737 and 747 are located close to the center wing fuel tank.

Archived