Conscripted into Thai Army

Torneyboy

Hi,

Anyone please tell me the way Thais are Conscripted into the army?

My wife was trying to explain but all got lost in the translation.

As i understand..males at age 21 receive a letter to report somewhere on a given date.

They line up and put their hand in a bowl and pull out either a red ball or a black one...black you go home.

The army have a list of all names so if you do not attend they will know.

Next question is about avoiding the ballot due to study overseas or on medical grounds.

My wife said her brother avoided on medical (knew someone in the medical hut....have doctors on duty) he paid 4k.

Some others that did not have a contact paid up to 20k.

Ladyboys ....sent home :p

This whole question came about when my wife came home and said xxx told her about her BFs experience.

She is now 25 and he 29.

From 21 the father kept extending as the son was studying in OZ.

His Gf went to see the army about him one day...i think about an extension....the guy said ...sleep with me and i will fix for your BF....The father found out and raised all hell for the officer concerned.

So how does it all work and how long can you put it off due to study?

The guy in question now holds an OZ passport as well as Thai.

Surely they still wouldnt want him for two years?

My wife says he is not finished with army...i said he will pay money?..maybe she said.

Anyone know how it all works in Thailand? ::

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most dual nationalities, or people with 2 passports are still required to serve their national service. The Greek bloke at work had to go back to Greece to serve his 2 years - he's a citizen of both here and there.

A few Italians simply didn't go back until after they were older than the required service age.

True. American law only prohibits its citizens from being an officer in a foreign army; thus, those with dual Israeli citizenship can still do their mandatory service as enlisted men.

As for Thailand, if you are related to Chalerm, that appears to be an automatic out, although that may not work as well these days.

In the Italians' cases, yes, there was a cut off age. Don't know what it was though, I know here you must be under 35 to enlist (higher if you enlist as an officer). I don't know what that was for national service though.

I am sure thailand has a cut off age too.

Hi

You are probably to old to remember our ballot during Viet Nam!

My birthday is 19 Sept...on my day they pulled out 17th and 20......close call...gotta say was a big night after that draw...only lottery i ever did not want to win.

Any info on the Thai Draft?...back on topic :angel:

torneyboy said:

Hi,

Anyone please tell me the way Thais are Conscripted into the army?

My wife was trying to explain but all got lost in the translation.

As i understand..males at age 21 receive a letter to report somewhere on a given date.

They line up and put their hand in a bowl and pull out either a red ball or a black one...black you go home.

The army have a list of all names so if you do not attend they will know.

Next question is about avoiding the ballot due to study overseas or on medical grounds.

My wife said her brother avoided on medical (knew someone in the medical hut....have doctors on duty) he paid 4k.

Some others that did not have a contact paid up to 20k.

Ladyboys ....sent home :p

This whole question came about when my wife came home and said xxx told her about her BFs experience.

She is now 25 and he 29.

From 21 the father kept extending as the son was studying in OZ.

His Gf went to see the army about him one day...i think about an extension....the guy said ...sleep with me and i will fix for your BF....The father found out and raised all hell for the officer concerned.

So how does it all work and how long can you put it off due to study?

Weird. About 1 hour ago, my GF got a call from her married daughter. Her husband just returned from Chiang Mai, where he drew the "red card", meaning he leaves for the Army on April 4. He is 22 y.o.

She actually showed me in our Thai-English dictionary the word "conscript", as you used. Said there's no way out for him. Everything you said, she had just described to me.

She tells me pay is about 2K THB/month, housing and food provided free, leaving money to send home, except for drinking and smoking expenses :(

Takes one able body away from the family farm. I hope he doesn't get assigned to a "...deserved to die..." post.

"Deserved to Die" thread

GF has 3 brothers, none of whom served. 1 had a bad motobike accident, can hardly see or walk. 1 is too short. The other one cut off a finger (cut small piece of finger off in car door, got gangrene, had remainder of finger amputated)!! ::

Vietnam: I remember they would pull birthdays from one barrel and lottery position from another and call up the "winners" throughout the year until the quota was met. I was #97 in the year that they cut it off at #96 (or something close to that). Had the big drawing for the year following your 18th b'day. If you didn't get called that year, you were off the hook permanently.

Interesting aside: I tried to join the Coast Guard, but was turned down for vision problems. The manual said you could also be rejected for "...large, hairy moles..." or for being "...exceptionally ugly." I didn't have any "large, hairy moles." Maybe they just didn't want to hurt my feelings!

GF tells me term is 2 years and that he should be assigned regionally, i.e., he won't be sent south (although the NW is probably not much better).

She also says coscription is good for him, that he will learn to take care of himself and others in a good/cooperative way and that he may also receive some health training.

Archived