Conscripted into Thai Army

Torneyboy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know 2 stories related to this.

One of my colleagues in our Bangkok office is from a somewhat landed farming family in the south. He readily admits that his father paid to keep him out of the draft. He reached in the bowl and got a black one. According to him, there were only black ones in it at that time.

Other one is my sister-in-law's husband who did 2 years, apparently there was no way out. According to him, it is not a real bad gig, but apparently NCO's are allowed to beat the shit out recruits if it strikes their fancy. That stops after a while and you take your turn beating the shit out of the new guys.

This was not unheard of in the US armed forces until late 60's or so. At least that was what my drill sargent keep telling me in 1972.

TH

TH

THAIHOME said:

I know 2 stories related to this.

One of my colleagues in our Bangkok office is from a somewhat landed farming family in the south. He readily admits that his father paid to keep him out of the draft. He reached in the bowl and got a black one. According to him, there were only black ones in it at that time.

Other one is my sister-in-law's husband who did 2 years, apparently there was no way out. According to him, it is not a real bad gig, but apparently NCO's are allowed to beat the shit out recruits if it strikes their fancy. That stops after a while and you take your turn beating the shit out of the new guys.

This was not unheard of in the US armed forces until late 60's or so. At least that was what my drill sargent keep telling me in 1972.

TH

TH

Hi

""only black ones left""? they can see the balls?

Thought would have been like a lucky dip ...all covered up ::

torneyboy said:
Redbaron said:

Vietnam!?!?!? I Wasn't even BORN then! :neener:

(sorry, I don't have, nor ever did have, any info on Thai conscripts... sorry) :beer:

Hi Red

Thanks a lot Red ::

RE :beer: Trust you are over 18 :neener:

Only just... hit 30 2 weeks ago, still reeling from the pain.

Archived