Conscripted into Thai Army

Torneyboy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<That is what his father paid for>>

The palace of righteous justice prevails!!!!

<<Money, get away

Get a good job with more pay and you're O.K.

Money it's a gas

Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash

New car, caviar, four star daydream,

Think I'll buy me a football team>>

Pink Floyd ;)

THAIHOME said:According to him, it is not a real bad gig, but apparently NCO's are allowed to beat the shit out recruits if it strikes their fancy. That stops after a while and you take your turn beating the shit out of the new guys. This was not unheard of in the US armed forces until late 60's or so. At least that was what my drill sargent keep telling me in 1972.

TH

An ex-roommate of mine was a Marine in Basic Training at Paris Island when an infamous "incident" ocurred. Apparently, a drill sargeant marched his men into the water and drowned them all. This story made headline news. I was a bit young at the time, so wasn't paying much attention. This may have been the "incident" which caused treatment of recruits to become a bit more humane. My ex-roommate told me that his Drill Instructor use to beat the hell out of all of them.

When you are lead onto the shooting range for target practice, you are given a fixed number of rounds to fire. The rounds are counted when you leave. My friend got caught trying to steal some ammo from the range. He confided in me that he was going to shoot his sargeant with it. For the life of me, I can't remember why I didn't ask follow-up questions. I think my ex-roomie "faked" his way out of it. Said it was an "accident", or some such. Not sure how/if he was disciplined for it.

Way off topic again but I remember reading about the incident. I think the drowning was attributed to exposure and general fatigue as they had been marching in the swamp for some time. I think this actually happened after the outlawing of striking recruits. The march was done as punishment, which in earlier days would have been done differently.

As long as I'm way off topic, The US, the draft ended in Jan 73. I know this as I was drafted in late 72 (at the age of 20)and all I heard about for 2 years was the all-volunteer Army.

I believe virtually all US combat troops were out of Vietnam by March 73.

TH

Archived