Renting motorbikes

Can any of you guys help me with this one?

hello Phil,

In '93, I went to North Thailand (ChangMai) for 2 months.

I rent a motorbike (was very easy in ChangMai) (Honda AX-1) and rode all

the North.

Now I am leaving Canada at the end of October for a three (3) month stay

in Thailand and I would like to rent a motorbike in Bangkok (250cc). I

will do the South this time.

I have look and search the net to find renting bikes in Bangkok with no

succes.

Do you know any place in Bangkok where it is possible to rent a

motorbike for long term (at least a month) without being rip off. I know

that motorbiking is not your cup of tea but you may know friends or

connaisances who are on motorbiking.

Thank you in advance very much for your help.

Jean Benoit

• 2 weeks later...

Not many 250cc bikes available in Thailand as they only manufacture to 150 cc, so anything larger has (in Theory) approx 350 % tax applied to its imported price which would make most of them more expensive than a new Honda civic. So most imports tend to be for bigger bikes, 900 t0 1200 cc. There are a lot of 400 cc bikes in the resort towns but most (all) won't rent for long distances or out of the immediate area. Too easy to knock a bike off in Thailand and get it reregistered or ship it over the border. I know all this isn't very helpful but sort of explains the lack of response. We are trying to put a large bike rental service together but the insurance companies won't look at a any proposal, no way of covering the bikes sort of makes it less than feasable.

He might want to rent a bike in Phuket and leave from there. Although the majority of bikes are sport bikes and standards, I have seen a few trail bikes around. I don't know of a regular place that rents, though, so he'd more than likely have to show up and take his chances.

There was a guy renting bikes in Bangkok a while ago but I lost his contact information. From what I can remember, he had a few choppers and a couple of smaller sport bikes. I don't think he had trail bikes, however....

The north seems to have lots of trail bikes and precious few sport/touring bikes for rent, whereas in the south it is the opposite.

Cheers!

Archived