Rounding up the losers?

Yehtmae

It's not a very well thought out policy, that is if you're serious and not joshing. Bit too simplistic just to bin them all. I think it's possibly been bandied around on this board before.

One difficulty rises with the illegals who have a kid in the country. The kid is potentially a "citizen" and a legal member of society. Now do you chuck both a child's parents out or just one parent so the other can look after it and the kid doesn't have to be looked after by social services? Or does the kid go back as well, even if that kid is to all intents and purposes a "native" of the country illegally entered by its parents?

I suppose if an ultra-nationalistic government was in power, and I don't know if Toxin's TRT is that far gone yet, they could round up all illegals and send 'em back. I guess if they repatriate Khmers, Burmese and others then they may not think there's much difference in kicking out farangs.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The kid is potentially a "citizen" "

"even if that kid is to all intents and purposes a "native" of the country illegally entered by its parents? "

Do the best of my knowledge; Thai citizenship is decided by the citizenship of parents, not location of birth. A Thai is only a Thai citizen if at least one parent is Thai, regardless of location at birth.

This is different then in a lot of other countries where if you are born in the country, you are automatically a citizen, even if your parents are there illegally.

In Thailand's case, they ship the whole family out.

TH

Agreed, if you're here illegally you deserve to be deported.

IMHO all these losers are actually winners in my book. :up:

They've got more sense and get up n' go (cos they're here) than spending their twilight years playing bingo on cold wet evenings in the Derby and Joan club where their best chance is to crack onto a sagging titted cullite challenged farang woman (with attitude) who is old enough to be your wife.

And even the poorest of them "must" be spending money to live here, contributing to the Thai economy in however small a way.. as much as a backpacker at any rate. Better than bludging on the system back in farangland.

Correction, if you're a poor bar owner you ought to register yourself as a charity. ::

If you're a rich bar owner, I doubt if you'd queer your pitch by being an illegal.

:beer:

...than spending their twilight years playing bingo

Looking at the picture from an early roundup, none looked much over 20 years of age! Of course it was a koh san road hit so young backpackers and africans might not be representative of overstayers in general. Or is it?

And even the poorest of them "must" be spending money to live here

Or spending proceeds pinched from scams. Who knows, but I would think illegal stayers have a higher chance of doing other illegal things too.

It stands to reason that the guys staying at the Oriental and Royal Orchid Sheraton are not the illegal aliens. No doubt those august establishments probably do comply with the law and file a daily report with the police. A good portion of the gazillion-baht room rate you pay in such places probably goes to pay the slary of the guy who has to go file it. Whereas a lot of these operators on KSR running dirt-cheap operations could not care less about who they let into their rooms, as long as they get a couple hundred baht or so out of them.

I agree that backpakers contribute a lot to the economy, but I consider that apples and oranges. The illegal aliens will be found in KSR-style establishments, not in the Regent Hotel.

robaus said:IMHO all these losers are actually winners in my book. :up:

They've got more sense and get up n' go (cos they're here) than spending their twilight years playing bingo on cold wet evenings in the Derby and Joan club where their best chance is to crack onto a sagging titted cullite challenged farang woman (with attitude) who is old enough to be your wife.

Hi robaus,

:applause::neener::censored:

Agree 100%.

Khwai

I agree! I wish they would do a better job of it here in the USA. We have illegals flooding in here, crank out a few babies which makes them immune to deportation because of all the bleeding hearts.

Archived