marriage stuff

thai3

Peter,

thai3 said:

Thats about how I understand it, how then can people get it all done in a day? From what I read you take the afirmation to the embassy, pick it up the next day then get it translated. The bit at the office in Laski takes a day or two so I don't see how the express service works, money make work fast?

I got to the US consulate gate about 8:30, cut the line (so focused on the mission that it didn't dawn on me what I'd done until later, lucky I didn't get a pounding). Out by 10:30, dropped the 2 affidavits off at a translation agency up the street by 11:00. Had lunch at a soup cart, picked up the translations a little after noon. Onto the sky train to Mor Chit, and from there a taxi to the Ministry. The longest wait was there - first take a number to turn in the papers, then a 2 hour wait to retreive them. But I had it all done by 3:30.

I don't know if there would have been enough time to go to an amphur office at this point and finish up all in the same day, but certainly that could have been done the next morning and it would all have been taken care of in less than 2 days.

If the UK consular office won't notarize your affidavits while you wait, as the US consulate did for me, then this would add an extra day for you.

thai3 said:

Does the GF have to go to the ministry or can you leave her out of it until the amphur?

She was not essential, but it was helpful to have her come along. Gave me someone to talk to during the waiting periods.

thai3 said:

What about the amphur bit can you just turn up or do you have to book? Soi 54 would be handy as it's not far from where she lives.

Don't know about this one - my wife and I didn't go to an amphur office. My wife knows the wife of a nai-amphur so we took our documents to his place of business (an internet shop near the city of Chiangmai) and left our documents with him. A few days later we went back to the shop and picked up our marriage certificates.

Regards, JEff

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Peter,

It's quite possible when a woman has been married before, that she or the family don't necessarily want a big party again. A sinsot is always appreciated however, but depends from situation to situation and the individuals involved wether it's a big issue or not.

As regards to the service of these offices, I assume they know the right places and people to go to and probably drop a few baht here and there for speeding things up.

We used the amphur close to Kao San road, Banglampu, no waiting involved, but it seemed that their main office was close to there as well.

No appointment needed at the Ampur on Soi 54. Just show up. After the papers were signed, sealed and delivered, the guy doing the paperwork told my wife she had two months to go to the Ampur in her home district and change her name on her ID card. Also if she had a Thai passport she needed to have her name changed on that too.

The Thai marriage certificate is written in Thai so you'll have to get that translated back to English before you apply for a British visa for your then wife. Used a place on the corner of Wireless and cost 300 Baht, took about 20 minutes.

Archived