marriage stuff

thai3

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ho OH,

If my memery doesn't Alzeheimer me, the US, UK and Dutch embassy are very close to each other on the same road.

You bet there'll be offices opposite the US embassy.

If you want the adress of the office I used for your ,uh, friend, pm me. It'll probably easier however and time saving to use one opposite the US embassy.

Thai 3,

Got married in BKK at Christmas and although I'm American and you're a Brit I'm sure the procedure is the same. First you get an affidavid from your embassy stating you are eligible to marry and if you've married before another form stating that marriage was legally terminated. Next have these forms translated into Thai. Next take the original and translated version to the Thai Foreign Ministry in Wattana ( out sorta by the airport) and have them "Legalized." Final step, take all this, your bride to be, her ID card, to any Ampur and have the marriage recorded. I use the Ampur on Soi 54, Sukhumvit. That procedure takes about 30 minutes. When you walk out of the door of the Ampur, you;re legally married, not only in Thailand but your own country. Congrats! :)

Concerning a birth certificate, the district Ampur where your wife was born has a copy. Might take then a couple of hours to find it, but if her birth was registered there, they have a copy.

Good luck!

HSTEACH

fly, and limbo,

When I married (Sept 2003 in Chiangmai), my wife did not need to have a police check or present her tabienban. For her documentation, she needed her ID card and her certificate of divorce. I don't recall if she also needed her birth certificate.

My documentation was as described by HSTeach.

Grabii

flyonzewall said:

she will have to produce her "tabien ban" - house registration - and has to have a police check. without that there is no marriage.

if she has a real ID and a real passport she should be able to get her "tabien ban". if not, there is something smelly going on.

Thats about how I understand it, how then can people get it all done in a day? From what I read you take the afirmation to the embassy, pick it up the next day then get it translated. The bit at the office in Laski takes a day or two so I don't see how the express service works, money make work fast?

Does the GF have to go to the ministry or can you leave her out of it until the amphur? What about the amphur bit can you just turn up or do you have to book? Soi 54 would be handy as it's not far from where she lives.

Did anyone have doubts? I have but I'm 52 and she's a nice girl-the inlaws are a worry though. I have told the GF no sinsot and no village do. She's done this before but I was surprised that she raised no objections to this, and quite pleased-peter

Archived