Ideas/Sources For Identifying an Artist

Some 33 years ago, I purchased what I consider a very well done seascape from a gallery shop in the Siam Intercontinental hotel. I often wonder how I might find out if the artist ever became famous in Thailand or whether nor not he/she is still painting/living.

I'm thinking about sending off an email to some art school or university art department in the hopes that photo attachments (including an enlargment of the artist's signature) may result in answers to my questions. While the artist may have used more than one signature, I would think that his/her style and ability might be recognizable.

Any ideas out there where I should start? Thanks in advance.

I don't have any knowledge about the art scene in Thailand, but in Western countries you have different options:

Auction houses with an art department. Usually they have a very broad knowledge, since they have to deal with any kind of artworks. Expertise including appraisal should be free.

Museum with a department for modern/contemporary painting.

As far as I know there is no renown Museum for contemporary art in Thailand, which is shame, since some Thai artists are shown abroad, but have no public permanent exhibition/collection space at home.

Galleries which specialize in modern/contemporary Thai art.

Maybe you will find some information here:

Rama art

By the way I found this information at Rama art:

"Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has approved a budget of Baht 300 million for the construction of the BMA Museum of Art in the Bangkok center city location. Construction is expected to be completed by 2001."

Enclosed is sketch of a very modern looking building, but I have never heard of BMA Museum of Art

Does anybody know about the status of this project?

Khun Kamui

Thank's a bunch for the response. I looked up the Rama Art link and there is a ton of leads to get me started. And your recommendations to inquire with galleries and museums were right on!

As for the "BMA", judging from the web, it's just the abbreviation for what I know in the U.S. as City Hall. When I get over there next month, I'll have to see what I can find out about the new museum (*maybe* 3 years old now; maybe not finished yet?)

Thanks again.

I live here and collect a bit. I suggest you could send a copy (JPEG) of the artwork to Bangkok Gallery.

The lady there is very knowledgably, and very good at her job.

Newer places seem to be run by someone's Mia Noi and rarely know what they are doing.

Also Chulalongkorn Uni has a good gallery, but I rarely see the director. Usually it is just volunteer staff, but they would also know.

Importantly, do you know the name of the artist?

JB

pattaya127 said:

Why don't you let us know about this artist a bit, and alos eventually tell us the result of your search.

Also, these days, many infos start with a google (search engine) seach, just typing thai modern art will get you a few links, and afew phone #s , i would guess.

First, thanks for the response.

Yep, a google search will provide some leads...although more leads for the art of modern thai cooking ::

I plan on arriving in the LOS end of Feb, so it looks like I might have some detective work to do to fill up some of my days. Sure...I'll be glad to give some feedback to those here who took the time to help me...although I doubt if there are many others with this "off the wall" question going through their minds.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Khun Jimmie

Appreciate the "targeted" info. The Uni and Bangkok gallery will be among the first I contact. I think I saw both on the BMA link provided above.

Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the artist. And the signature can only be read by the person who painted it ::

Actually, the romanized alphabet is used in the signature which begins (unmistakably) with an "S". Can only guess at the end of the relatively short Thai name; but I'd guess that the last letters of the signature are "orn" (yeah, I know: big help!)

Anyway, thanks again for the tips.

Silpakorn Uni? That the one at the end of Soi 23? If so, I have an old friend who works there. Known her for almost 15 years...since she danced at the Darling Bar on SC. Maybe she could interpret for me? ::

Hey...thanks for the lead...I'll be sure to make my way over there.

Archived