Ko Chang expediantly ?

Pom_Jao_Choo

I have never been to Ko Chang. Considered it while I was finishing shcool in Ban Phe but I was in too much of a hurry to get to Sharkys.

Little brother in Taiwan just emailed me about a friend who is leaving Canada soon and is hell bent to get his ass on Ko Chang fast and easy.

I saw on a map a reference to an airport in Rayong but cant find a listing with Thai Airways or Bangkok Airways.

So can anyone propose the most efficient route on arival to move from BKK to Ko Chang ?

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend who is getting married the first part of Feb. and his bride are planning on Koh Chang for the Honeymoon... There are flights from BKK once a day... Seemed like they ran about 5,000 baht each way... I couldn't find it on their site either, but e-mailed them and they responded with the rate and schedule... Don't forget that you will have a long Ferry ride after the flight to get out to the island...

Pianoman

PJC,

I think Bangkok Airways flies BKK-Trat daily. The Koh Chang ferry is about 30 minutes away from Trat (and thus much closer than Rayong). The ferry in itself takes about 45 minutes and leave every every hour 'til about 7 o'clock in the evening (if I remember correctly).

I found this on some web site:

-------------------------

Bangkok Airways daily timetable as of 18th April 2003 will be.

Bangkok ?Trat : PG310 08.10 09.00

Bangkok ? Trat : PG316 15.40 16.30

Trat ? Bangkok : PG311 09.30 10.20

Trat ? Bangkok : PG3127 17.00 17.50

For more information contact Bangkok Airways in Bangkok on 0-2265-55 or

e-mail reservation@bangkokair.co.th or in Trat 0-3952-5777.

------------------------

Enjoy your trip! :)

maleria really? :eek:

I don't think so, but maybe some 10 years ago or in very very cases...

Been to chang & numerous other 'remote' islands & read up on it on many travel guides etc. & for thailand all that remains a remote malaria scare would be remote parts near golden triangle jungle etc.

as to getting to chang fly to trat then transfer to one of the 3 ferry crossings with center point being the quickest(30 min) & frequent(every 30min or so).

alternatively busses depart either ekamai or morchit in bkk & the ride is estimated for 5½h to trat

chang is very nice, but choose your beach carefully!

e.g. white sand the largest & liveliest & probably best beach sporting all from backpackers to package charter resort tourists & all the thais in between.

other further out 'resorts' more isolated & quiet with limited 'life'.

enjoy!

This is from the UK NHS,

MALARIA PRECAUTIONS

Malaria precautions are essential in Ko Chang and along the borders of Laos Cambodia and Myanmar, all year round. (There is very little risk in cities and main tourist areas such as Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, Changmai, the river Quai bridge area and offshore islands except Ko Chang) (Go to Malaria Map).

Here is general info on malaria in Thailand,

Population in malarious areas: 41.5 million

No. of Death due to malaria : 625 reported and 687 estimated death in 2000

No.of Malaria cases : 81,692 reported and 200,000 estimated cases in 2000

So 2/3 of the Thai population are subject to malaria! :eek:

That's fantastic guys thanks for the help.

I apreciate the warnings about Malaria, but I have not since my very first trip to Thailand ever given a second thought about malaria. I weigh on the side of improbable. Whereas it's the position of government and world health organizations to warn people on the side of caution.

Archived