Why do Thai's cut in line

llso

After living here in Thailand for over three years this is the one thing I have yet to be able to deal with. It has happened to me a lot but this past week there has been a rash of incidents.

A big older lady literally bodyblocked me to get in front of me at the ticket window in the bus station in BKK. Today a rather attractive young girl just casually butted right in front of me in the line at an ATM. Both with complete indignation. Is it that think it is their birthright to butt in on Falangs in line because they are Thai? I seriously doubt they would try this with other Thai's.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love some of the markets which are bodies against bodies. I have been in some in which you just could not move. To make the scene more interesting, a food vendor or a motorcycle comes down the aisle - everybody steps to the side - no swearing - no cursing. They go on with their lifes as if nothing had happened. In the Western world, the motorcycle would get 25 feet and would be knocked off his bicycle. If he was stupid enough to continue, in some countries he would go about another 25 feet and would be killed.

Maybe what you should have done as what some do in other lands! But then, those are Christian countries wereas this is a Buddhist country.

What I was trying to express was the thought that Thais are easier going, less stressed out then Westerners. For example, the coined word 'road rage' came not from the over crowded streets in Bangkok, but from Westerners not able to control their emotions. I admire the Thai culture for being able to harness this problem that the West has no clues in how to manage.

Interesting question you pose.

It's a bit like the old joke, "why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can."

I expect they'd soon stop if you suddenly developed a case of St Vitus dance and started twatting them with your unmanageable elbows and ankles.

Just flid out! That's my motto. Always worked for me. ::

>>>For example, the coined word 'road rage' came not from the over crowded streets in Bangkok, but from Westerners not able to control their emotions. <<<

ahem...

the only reason you see here less road rage is because the enourmous amount of people carrying guns, machetes and metal bars in their cars.

just have a look at policestations and ask the cops what they confiscate every week... :eek:

>>>I admire the Thai culture for being able to harness this problem that the West has no clues in how to manage.<<<

as if thailand has no violence problem...

technical students bombing city busses in which rival school students ride, neighborhood gangs knifing the shit out of strangers, illegal motorcycle racers shooting wildly at strangers...

so far i have not see "thai culture" coming up with any sort of answer or solution regarding the everyday carnage apart from increasing police brutality.

After living here in Thailand for over three years this is the one thing I have yet to be able to deal with.
I am still not used to it either after what will be - this Spring - ten years here. But what really bothers me is when I am walking on a sidewalk and a motorcyclist rides up behind me and impatiently honks at me to get out his way as if I shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Archived