Why do Thai's cut in line

llso

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

better say just kidding b4 typing this:

thais cut in front of us ( farangs) because they are better than us.

dont think so"? just ask a thai

:)

maybe only kidding 40%

Try HK immigration line. Better yet, nothing like a planeload of mainland chinese scurrying to the immigration line at DM airport.

Hi Rasputin,

Agree wholeheartedly - the mainland Chinese are the most shameless queue-jumpers I have ever seen. Try to get served in a fast food outlet when there are a horde of mothers with their kids in tow and you'll see it at its worst. I dont remember anything that approached it in Singapore, Jakarta or Thailand.

I dont buy a lot of touristy t-shirts, but I couldnt resist the 'Ten Commandments for Chinese' shirt I bought in Yangshuo. It has the Commandments in English on the front and Chinese on the back, and Commandment Number One is 'Thou shalt not jump the queue'. As I said, they are notorious for it.

Looks like you guys already beat me to the punch. Yup, Chinese are really bad when it comes to cutting in line. I don't think they even have the concept of waiting in line. I think it is whoever can get to the counter first gets served first. I am sure that Thai's also cut in line on other Thai's so maybe I would not take it so personally. I know that here in the West, if I line jump, people here are going to confront me. I remember seeing over the holidays some TV news film footage of a lady who tried to line jump at Walmart so she could get the $29 DVD player and two other ladies physically grabbed her and got up in her face and physically stopped her from jumping back in the line. Man, it was ugly!!!

I suppose it is also another example of being in "THEIR COUNTRY" and it is best to stay calm and not react to it the way you would in your own farang land.....coz as it has been said on this board a million times before, when the shit hits the fan, you are gonna lose Mr. Farang. :help::grinyes:

Rug

I reckon you hit the nail on the head there

"coz as it has been said on this board a million times before, when the shit hits the fan, you are gonna lose Mr. Farang"

They know they can get away with it and much more because the ultimate sanction - the law - is on their side. The end result of that could be incarceration or deportation. They know you don't want that and they know you can't do jack shit about it.

OK,

So it seems the conclusions are:

[*]It's their country

[*]They don't give a shit

[*]We're only farang

[*]and the law is on their side

So, what to do about it? Nothing?

No, I think it is a perfect opportunity to have some fun. As soon as they cut in front of you chat them up in either English or preferably in Thai. Here are two examples of the fun to be had:

(To a large female cutting line at a 7-11) "Ah, khun Moo. Please do get ahead of me as I know you are late for your treatment at the AIDs clinic."

or

(To a Thai male cutting line on the BTS) "Please, you first. It is tradition in my country for a person with a much smaller penis to go first."

Feel free to add your own. :devil:

PSILVERS here...

Another related question is why don't Thais let people out of the elevator, bus, sky train before getting in. On many occasions, I have had trouble getting in because of the mad rush to get in. Really annoying.

I try to remain calm but a few times, some comment could not be contained. I tried to be more diplomatic with what I said, but the tone should have given it away. Of course, I don't think it mattered. They couldn't have cared less.

PSILVERS

Thais are easier going, less stressed out then Westerners. I admire the Thai culture for being able to harness this problem that the West has no clues in how to manage.

---------------------------------------

Here, I strongly disagree with you. FlyW gave a good point about why people who don't knoe each other might refrain to enage in power play or shouting (violence running amok that can't be controlled, plenty in Thailand, due to loss of face syndrom).

Sure, thais deal very well with stress on the surface, and there is a lot of surface in social and public relations, but I would not make it look like it makes them deal adequatly with their emotions.

Any one of us with a thai GF/wife, most likely knows what i

am talking about, on a personal level.

I actually think that westerners deal better with emotions and especiallly one that can lead to angry physical expressions (and lot of emotions do). If thais can't offset one at the onset, then there is the difference: we westerners will deal with it, and thais won't deal with it (in general of course), it may run its natural course and provoke acts of violence that happen rarely in the west for such trifle as drivers anger.

There is a lot more violence waiting or erupting from under the surface in Thailand, that most tourists will ever happen to guess.

I really think that if thais, or their neighbours dealt with an emotion as it came, there would be much less horrible, undeserved assaults that built up from weeks, months, years of suppressed/undealt emotions. Both individually or collectively.

Road rage may be western coined, but running amok is malay.

IMO

The end result of that could be incarceration or deportation. They know you don't want that and they know you can't do jack shit about it.

---------------------------------

sounds like typical farang paranoia to me. More than once, i have been taken in front of a line when it really mattered (no movie queue, but needing treatment for a dog bite in hospital, reporting theft of TCs in police station, etc...)

Your post seems to indicate that thais never cut line in front of other thais, and only wish to dare a farang in doing this. IMO, they can't give a damn the color of your skin, they just do not have the courtesy of waiting in line...Like the french :p, that's all!

Archived