HIV/Aids

skirtlifter

>>>I perfectly understand what you mean, the budget constrains, and more things than you can imagine. Great that GPO-VIR is under the 30 Baht health scheme, BUT it's not the solution, the side effects mid and long term are huge. <<<

definately not the solution. also the developers of GPO - Vir say the same thing. but unfortunately as patent laws, the protectionism in favour of the pharmagiants and budget constraints of developing and underdeveloped nations go it's circumstancially as close as it gets to a solution at the moment.

i got told some of the inside story of GPO - Vir's development - and it is mindblowing, right out of some conspiracy theory. years of battles in courts, lobbying in world organisation, up to death threats.

the doctor who treats the uncle appears to be rather competent and very nice, so, again, that is the only thing we have for the time being. i have not the medical knowledge nor the time to try to play doctor myself.

and bringing the guy to bangkok is not an option either. he is happy where he is, surrounded by a family which does not reject him, and having responsibilities there. he is happy where he is.

we'll see how it goes. the bloke has been a monk for a very long time, so death is something which he is comfortable with, and very knowledgable about.

what we have here, imperfect as it is, is still miles ahead of what many (most?) other countries have.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. Current US guidlines on therapy etc etc etc.

http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/adult/AA_111003.html#PrevNoTreat

This little snippet about starting therapy in asymptomatics:

Recommendations for offering antiretroviral therapy among asymptomatic patients require analysis of real and potential risks and benefits. Treatment should be offered to persons who have < 350 CD4+ T cells/mm3 or plasma HIV ribonucleic acid (RNA) levels of > 55,000 copies/mL (by b-deoxyribonucleic acid [bDNA] or reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction [RT-PCR] assays). The recommendation to treat asymptomatic patients should be based on the willingness and readiness of the person to begin therapy; the degree of existing immunodeficiency as determined by the CD4+ T cell count; the risk for disease progression as determined by the CD4+ T cell count and level of plasma HIV RNA; the potential benefits and risks of initiating therapy in an asymptomatic person; and the likelihood, after counseling and education, of adherence to the prescribed treatment regimen.

>> what we have here, imperfect as it is, is still miles ahead of what many (most?) other countries have.

That would be a long discussion, but I'm not interested discussing with you.

Bye

>>>That would be a long discussion,<<<

actually, no - a rather short one: africa, india, china, burma etc.

>>>but I'm not interested discussing with you.<<<

a lovely person you are. and so polite...

Archived