Street vendor incident on Soi Cowboy

PSILVERS here...

Last night, as I was about to enter Soi Cowboy, there was a food vendor fighting with the police. It appeared that they were taking his stuff. He removed it from the pickup and it smashed to the ground. He then started throwing things at the police and trying to fight physically with them.

Does anybody know the story? I decided to go to NEP instead leaving my visit to Soi Cowboy until another day.

The only thing I heard was that the police are not allowing any vendors to be on the Soi Cowboy street, even though they are allowed on the others (Asoke and Soi 23). I think that the street vendors add life to the area. Why are they being pushed away?

Does anyone know more about what is happening? Is this happening in other places?

PSILVERS

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not there, but this is a common thing in Bangkok. Some of the street vendors operate illegally, some operate legally. I do not think a consumer can tell the difference. The police that check vendors are the ones the street vendors watch out for. When they see them coming, they hide their merchandise and pretend nothing is happening. I have seen this a lot in front of the World Trade Center. Once the police assigned to this task leave, they put out again their merchandise. The police that not assigned to this task, such as the ones that work on the fly over that crosses the streeet, do not seem to get involved in this activity. Was recently at one small shop (inside a building) buying things one day, when the police came down the street checking vendors. It turned out the shop owner was operating illegally. She immediately pulled down her metal door to the front of her shop and locked the door with me inside. Soon, the police were banging on her door. She would not answer. After about 30 minutes, the police left the area. She opened the overhead door and I stepped out. I was surprised to see how many street vendors were hanging around without any merchandise. Exactly where they stashed the merchandise, I could not see. Some of these people are very clever. As for cleverness, go to Pantip Plaza. It does not take long to realize a large number of vendors sell bootleg computer software, CDs and DVDs. If you stay long enough and the police show up, it is interesting how things disappear and how the illegal vendors appear to disappear into the wood work.

It seems there are even a few places inside NEP that operate in a gray area. I was in the lobby of a ST place when a policeman was spotted. The lights went out and the door was locked, without a word or any regard to anyone wanting out. It stayed pitch dark and silent a long time until the coast was clear.

Hi psilvers,

there are policemen in special units checking for faked brand products. Such products are confiscated - so better close shops.

Normally shops have a external store with attractive products! :devil:

elef

Terrorism?

By the way, was anyone else in Dollshouse SC last week when a couple of Arabs (one in full traditional dress) very awkwardly entered the bar and stayed for a couple of Pepsis? Very strange.. They sat right next to me and, though not a suspicious person (especially after a few beers :drunk:), I couldn't help wondering whether it was a reconnaissance mission or, judging by the bulge in the traditional garb( ::), the real thing...

I have to agree, it is a sight out of place. If one is going to go to the measure of wearing the proper religious attire, then I think it is safe to assume they would not want to offend their god by going into a place like Soi Cowboy...certainly if you saw a priest, minister or Rabbi in their garb you would think it a bit weird...

Archived