Thai Temple Ceremony

Torneyboy

Thai Temple Ceremony.

We go to our local temple most weekends and enjoy the ceremony and the people whom attend and the food after.

This weekend we were asked to go to a different temple with some Thais that were taking a child on her 3rd birthday .

This temple is the second one built in Sydney ....about 30 years ago.

Only two monks on this day one a falang an english guy and the other a Thai.

A very casual ceremony ...the monks talked to us as a group (less than 20) in the Temple on this day.

We all had a chance to offer the food and talk one on one...but in the main they talked to all of us.

The chanting went for less than 10 mins instead of the usual 30-40 mins as well.

One part i missed was writing the names of lost loved ones..then blessed and burnt.

We then pour water in the bowl...here this was not done and the water we took outside and put on trees.

I have only been to Temples in BKK and the one in Chaing Mai with a Zillion steps..both same as my local.

Any reason for this...asked my wife but she just said ""different temple"" ::

Hi TB,

there are different forms of buddhism - thai buddhism also!

In Copenhagen (Denmark) area we have 2 thai buddhism temples. Just one is approved by the high monk of Thailand and recognized by the thai embassy. The other one, closer to the city (near Kastrup airport), is not. The ceremonies are a little different but not so big differences that you find in christianity!

elef

"On a related note I was wondering if it in LOS was 'normal' for 'good' buddhists to attend temple every weekend or how often?"

My mother-in-law and her gang of village matrons go every day. When we are staying there, so does my wife.

By the way, my wife does her "Buddha" chant and lights the joss sticks every day. She refuses to go to any other temple (anywhere in the world) except the one in her village, unless as a tourist.

We do stop at the Buddha near the Hyatt (Erinhwa ?) every trip through Bangkok.

TH

Archived