Help! My email is hijacked

Pharcyde

Hope some of you guys here can help me.

Recently I have started to receive enormous amounts of backbouncing "mailer-daemon" email, that completely float my account.

According to these messages, I apparently send spam-mails about increasing your penis size out all over the world.

Let alone that it is irritating to have to clean up my inbox every couple of hours, it also pisses me off that someone has had the shame to abuse my personal email address!

What can I do? Can I find the bugger, or do I have to suffer in silence?

:onfire: :: :doah:

Pharcyde

suffer in silence...this is a virus. (I-Worm/Mydoom.A and I-Worm/Mydoom.B -- which is spreading like wild fire at the moment)

get yourself a good piece of anti-virus software and anti-spam email software.

here's one of each that's both free and good.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php (anti-virus)

http://www.keir.net/k9.html (anti-spam)

This happens more often lately that proffessional spam mailer use stolen existing email addresses to cover their traces.

As far as I know there isn't anything you can do, but to close you mail address down for a while or switch to a mail provider with on good spam filter on it's server.

Anyway, since spam mailer use robots to catch email addresses on the web I use 4 different addresses now. A very private address on my business card, which is not published online, two addresses for net-boards and one for newsgroups. The email address for newsgroups I need to change every two weeks, because after I posted in newsgroups it takes only a few days until spam starts to flood my mail account.

Without a real good mail filter of my provider (German GMX) it would be impossible for me handle my mails. For example in the last seven days I received 1050 spam mails. :banghead:

PS: And like straycat said, you could have caught the mydoom virus :o. Maybe you are a superspreader know and your computer is a part of the Denial of Service (DoS) attack on the SCO server or on the Microsoft server. :grinyes:

Wow!!! Straycat and Kamui,

Thank you for the prompt answer guys. I have just downloaded the K9 anti spam and I will try and start my computer in DoS mode and give it a check for the infamous MyDoom virus.

Lets see if that helps on my bursting inbox...

Cheers. Dankeschön.

PC

I get the same thing it's folks who forge their headers with your domain or email address. I have some anti spamming software that deals with it and it's not too much of a problem but there isn't much you can do about it short of filtering out these kinds of messages with special software.

Archived