Visas andr Drivers Licenses

itsmedave

Looking for tips and experiences which might help me save time and frustration.

I married my Thai girlfriend in December and plan to take her to my home in the U.S. this summer for a one month vacation. She cpmes from a poor family and has no money or job (other than mine) to make her come back. I'm hoping that as a married girl we will avoid those problems.

I saw on the website for the US Embassy, you must first pay 4000 baht for a application fee at a Post office before turning in the paperwork between the hours of 7 to 9am only. Sounds pretty harsh. Are there other restrictions I should know about? If I make a spelling error, will I be forced to pay another 4000 for a new application fee??? Should I use a visa company to help me? What other paperwork should I bring???

Then, once I arrive, I will want to rent a car to drive all over the frickin country. My California drivers livence will expire a few days before I am likely to arrive. I have heard that I need to get a Thai D/L, and then get an International D/L for use in the States. Could anybody clue me in on how to make these things happen?

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Hi Dave;

I'l let the other guys deal with the US visa thing, but if your DL is only recently expired, I would think you could simply renew it there. Presuming you are going to CA

If not an Int'l DL might work, legit ones are through the Automobile Clubs ......... AAA affiliates........ must be one in Thailand.

Fakes are a KSR staple. :down:

It sounds like you live and work in Thailand, though that is not explicit in your question, so I will assume that you do.

Don't think you need a visa company. What you do need is compelling evidence she is going to return to Thailand. Since she is married to you and you live together in Thailand, showing that you will return should show this. I did this by getting a letter from my company saying I am employed indefinitely in Thailand and am authorized annual home leaves so we need a multi-entry visa. We also included a copy of a joint Thai bank account.

She was given a 3-month single entry tourist visa without an interview (later, in another country she was given a 5 year multi entry). I understand that starting in about Oct-03, no visas are being given world wide without interviews, even if previously issued a visa.

You will not have to pay fee again for a "spelling error", but I would be careful in filling out application and accompanying documents. These people take themselves very seriously and you are at their mercy. Expressions of anger or frustration will only be detrimental to her case. Keep in mind, your wife, not you, is getting the visa. She does not have the same rights in that embassy as you do as a US Citizen.

If you have a non-imm visa you should be able to get a Thai drivers licence. I know of 2 people that have used that to rent cars at SF airport.

Have you looked into a mail or Internet renewal for your CA licence? I don’t know about CA, but my state of residence does a mail/Internet renewal every other time. Would think if it does it, CA certainly should have something similar.

TH

Is the marriage legal? By that I mean did you register the marriage at an Ampur? If not, that might, probably will have a bearing on your success at getting a visa for your wife. They only recognize a marriage in Thailand if the Ampur part is done. I'd call or email the embassy and ask that question if you didn't register at the Ampur.

TH and HST,

Maybe, maybe not. When I was working in Nonthaburi in '97 - '99 my girlfriend was issued 1-time visas to join me for vacations back in the US. She was your typical poor, under-educated Issan woman, with nothing to her name but a rice cooker and the clothes in her free-standing plastic closet. The proof of return was my job. Things are, I'm sure, a bit tougher now, but a guy living and working in Thailand would have to really blow the presentation for his girlfriend or wife to be rejected for a B2 visa.

dave,

Read 9 FAM 41.31 Notes, especially subsections N2 and N3. <http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0941031N.pdf>

Regards, JEff

THAIHOME said:

Good point. :up:

I should have added we included the original Marriage Certificate (in Thai) and a legal translation in the supporting documents. You are correct, if the marriage is not registered, the chances of getting the visa drop considerably.

TH

A friend and his wife went to the american embassy 2 weeks ago for their visa.

Walked in and reviewed the material and she got the visa.

On the way out she looked at the visa and said there was a mistake. Hubbie guickly ran over to take a look. Opps they did not give her a 3 month visa but a 10 year multiple entry visa. :hubba:

So you might have some luck with it.

FYI. He works at the top goverment school in the country and she is a lower level manage with the MOE

If not an Int'l DL might work, legit ones are through the Automobile Clubs ......... AAA affiliates........ must be one in Thailand..."

Nope, an International driving license is only valid when presented with the original license, so if you oringinal license has expired, an international DL won't help you.

I would go with the renewal by mail if you still have a California mailing address.

Good luck!

"Walked in and reviewed the material and she got the visa."

That is called an interview. The visa is always issued immediatly after that if approved.

How long before the interview did they turn in the application?

Most US embassies these days seem to running 4 to 6+ weeks behind now, since all applications now require an interview.

TH

Archived