Visas andr Drivers Licenses

itsmedave

The concern will be that you are planning to bypass the immigrant visa process and that the 'tourist visa' is just to get you both into the USA and apply for status change there. So you need to bring proof of your job/bank accounts here and anything else that helps prove you really plan to return to Thailand. Should not be a problem if you can do that. Believe you can download forms and fill out before you go to Embassy.

Some rental car companies explicitly require a "US" license for an American renter - although there seem to be exceptions. You do not need a US address for a US drivers licence - mine is issued in Florida and has had my Bangkok address for the past decade. Even renewal is done online these days.

rickfarang said:

Nope, an International driving license is only valid when presented with the original license, so if you oringinal license has expired, an international DL won't help you.

I was renting a car in Newark last year and there was an Asian couple trying to rent a car. They had a reservation, a visa card and an international DL but not the "original license" that the Int'l license was based on. The car rental clerk and his supervisor refused to rent a car because they didn't have the original license in their possession.

"You do not need a US address for a US drivers licence "

This varies from state to state.

In order to get my state's licence I had to show I had a real address in that state. They required a utility bill or bank statement addressed to me in that state. You can only renew (for 4 years) by Internet/mail every other time. This means you must go to the licence office every 8 eight years to get a new licence.

People with California drivers licences living overseas need to be careful. A drivers licence is one of the ways California checks to see who should be filing state income tax in their very aggressive campaign to have people pay state income tax, even if you don't live in the state. :nono:

TH

This varies from state to state.

Although the procedure varies believe most (all?) states allow for renewal of a license for those currently holding a valid license but agree most want a local address for a new issue.

I had New York State try to get me to pay state tax based on an emergency medical prescription in that state. ::

Archived