Narita Question

I just got my tickets for a January trip to LOS (second trip. can't wait!)

I will be flying form Boston to Tokyo (Narita) by American Airlines, then Tokyo to BKK by United Airlines. I have only 2 hours to get off the plane (AA) then get my boarding pass for UA. Has anyone done this before? I am wondering if I will have to leave the gate to go get my boarding pass then pass back through security. With only two hours, and with recent events, I am worried that I could miss my UA flight if there are long lines in security (or at the ticket counter) even though AA got me to Tokyo on time. Any information about this would be appreciated. I would hate to get stuck in Tokyo, then try to argue with UA that it really wasn't my fault that I missed my flight.

I am hoping that I won't have to go to security again since AA and UA are in the same terminal, but can you get a boarding pass at the gate?

Thanks

From my limited knowledge of Narita you may miss it if a thing or two goes wrong. If I am not mistaken they have these little mini terminals that operate one airline. So connecting like I did from Northwest to Northwest I never had to leave the mini terminal. If they are a big asian carrier chances are you will need to move around the airport a bit and that could cause some confusion and time. However you should make your flight as long as the first plane is on time.

Mykal

BKKBluesBoy,

Changing planes at Toyko's Narita, you will go thru a security check. In September flying on Northwest I arrive at gate 42 and was leaving at gate 44. Both gates were in a mini hub and almost next to each other. After getting off my USA flight you could not enter the next gate area without going back thru a security check. They did ask (can you say no?)if they could look thru my carry on. I had to show my boarding pass.

Both of your airlines will be in terminal #1. You should get your United boarding pass when you check in for your American part of the flight in Boston. Once again you will need to pass thru a security check. What you need to avoid is going thru Customes. I can only tell you that in the same mini hub you only had to deal with security. I almost sure you can avoid Customes thru out the airport (same terminal) when you are just changing flights. I had less than 2 hours on both flights, and this was more than enougth time to change planes get coffee and buy a few Toyko trinkets. Prices in "yen" but take US $. Your luggage should check thru to Bkk from Boston or what airport you clear customes in the USA.

BBB, hope this helps and have a great trip.

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

I will be flying in next week on UAL, and may have to change to TG (I work for UAL, so I fly space available) for the NRT-BKK segment, if UA is full. I think I have to take a bus or something to another terminal...?

Obviously working for UAL you would have better and more reliable information than I, but my opinion is that although the NRT-BKK is usually booked fairly solid this has not been the case since sept 11. It has even been posted on UAL special international e-fares, which is a first i think.

I recently flew to us and back from bkk via UAL and had plenty of days to choose from when booking.

Good luck.

Archived