New Zoning/Early Closure Thread

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LaoHuLi said:

It goes beyond NEP bars. The rule applies to all pubs and clubs in the lower Sukhumvit area.

And to ALL the bars/clubs in the entire country.

The devastation in smaller towns will be very obvious. Will this mean that I can only get a drink at a bar in ChiangRai or Pai or Korat betwenn 9pm and midnight???

If so, this law will not last. The people, the Thai people will laugh this gov't out of office.

naturally most people here get hung up on the farang oriented areas and the ones of the wealthy thais/chinese, but the far worse impact it will have on the countless smaller entertainment places for normal thais, and the many more people who financially depend on them. yesterday i was at one of my favourites, a nice thai cafe with singers and dancers. they already have to close at midnight. speaking with people there they are very worried over their furure.

since the introduction of the new laws it's the first time since i have heard some serious and widespread discontent towards thaksin's rule (always attached the dreadded word "padetgaan"...), many people expressing the need for demonstrations.

the kettle is boiling...

You can take away a man's right to overtime, you can ban TV, you can eliminate the internet, you can subject him to many a despicable act in the name of 'social improvement' but if you start to f*** with his beer you are not going to last long.

Proven over and over again for centuries.

but the far worse impact it will have on the countless smaller entertainment places for normal thais, and the many more people who financially depend on them.
This is true. Simply in terms of numbers, there are far more Thai venues that will be affected. Stumble down just about any Soi in Bangkok and you will find all sorts of bars and pubs. If these rules are enforced as advertised - operating hours 9 pm to 12 midnight - I cannot see how these sorts of businesses will be able to survive.

This also makes me question if they will be enforced. With laws like this there is tremendous incentives on both bar owner and enforcer to reach some sort of "accomodation" - bribes. In high profile locales - and NEP because of its Farang patoronage will fall into this category will fall into this category - it will be harder in the beginning to negotiate such accomodations, which is why I am not optomistic about NEP's future if the rules go forward as presented in the newspapers. But in a smaller, out of the way places, the tempatation for bar owner and local policeman to reach an arrangement will be tremendous. It could be alot like prohibition in the US in the 20's.

problem of the really small venues is that they simply do not have the profitmargin to pay high enough bribes. groundfloor of small shophouses, beer and sangthip just a few baht more than in the market, a few baht per song on the karaoke machine. the ones whith girls mostly do not even pay the girls a salary - they just hang out there, attract customers and might go once a while with one.

in my area i reckon the bribes won't be possible as the man in charge is a famous hardliner. rangsit, samut prakan or rama II area might be different though.

i dunno, but that law and the one of the curfew really depresses me, just thinking about it... ::

a friend of mine just told me where the inspiration might have come from - he said that nowadays in new york clubs have to close at 1am.

Archived