China Air?

JJsushi

I am seriously considering flying CAL because of the 23:30 departure times from LAX-BKK(I really hate leaving work early) and the late afternoon returns instead of the godawful 6-7am on the other carriers. I usually fly any StarAlliance airline because of the miles I get to accrue with my domestic carrier UAL. Looking at the prices and flight schedule for CAL, I am having a hard time not thinking of flying with. Any impressions of this carrier from those who have FLOWN the airline and not reporting on hearsay? Who do they have an allinace with in the US?

jjsushi--

I have flown CI from HNL to TPE & TYO, SFO to TPE and JFK (via ANC) to TPE.

(PS: Watch out here! CI flies into HANEDA and NOT Narita. If you intend to inerline connect in Japan this will be a time problem)

I found their service in both "Y" and "C" classes to be good.. Not the same-same as SQ, CX or TG but very good for the price paid...

They have invested good money in increased crew training and pilot training and the "new" CI is very much different than the CI of old... IMHO

One thing that I (personally) do not like is the connections in TPE. IF you have a lay-over of any significant time (over 2 hours) there is LITERALLY nothing to do/see/buy in the tranist lounge terminal... There is not even a place to buy a newspaper!

As far as their FF program "Dynasty" goes they are a little "left out" in this area. Whereas TG & SQ are members of Star Alliance and CX and is a member of One World, CI (much like JL) operates a individual program and not a memeber of one of the three major "alliances" (Star, One World & Sky Team)

Hope this helps!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

Just flew to BKK from Hawaii last Sept. I agree with most of the previous post. The double layover (Haneda and Taipei) kind of sucks their is even less in the Haneda transient lounge vs. Narita, and not much more in Taipei. If you walk away from the gate area in Taipei you can find a book store and get some okay food.

As far as equipment went, all our flights were 747-400's so plenty of room usually, only mostly full legs were Tokyo to Taipei and return. Only problem with the planes is that China Air was one of the first to buy them, and they are getting a little old and don't have the nice features of the newer models (individual TV screens, headrests that fold out to support your head, etc.)

Service was great, and with out the terrible western PC rules about age discrimination, most of the service crew were young and attractive. Toilets were kept very clean, seemed like everytime someone stepped out, one of the crew was in there cleaning. The only problem was the drink service, they only gave us a tiny cup of our beverage of choice (almost the size of free samples).

Would I fly them again? Maybe. But the milage thing kind of bugs me. The food on KAL was a little better, and so was the service (just a little) and they flew 777's. Havn't seen the new airport though so don't know about that (Kimpo had ton's of shops).

GatLoS--

Howzit, where did you find that bookshop??? I've walked the enire corridor (seems like a mile) and only found that crappy "coffeshop" with the large crock pots of unknown food...

--UPSer

(da buddah wit one place in Kakaako)

UPSer,

Here?s an attempt in passing directions to the shop Gatlos mentioned?

As you leave the arrival area at Taipei IAP, pass all the Duty free shops and take that long hall which I believe heads to the immigrations & customs clearing area. As you approach that area, you?ll see a small staircase leading upstairs to another restaurant (food was ok, and pretty identifiable) and passenger rest area. It?s a long balcony actually that overlooks the customs clearing area mentioned before. After you pass the restaurant you?ll find a couple of small shops to include a tiny bookstore. Here?s a heads up? Just prior to the ?food court? / rest area, you can find some showers and very clean restroom facilities, a must with the long layovers there! Ours was some 6 hours frown.gif" border="0

As far as CAL is concerned, I enjoyed the flight and all the eye candy. Sure beats the old scaggs you might find on Northwest or United!!! Actually that was my first experience of flying to LoS on a commercial carrier (normally use a different means of getting there wink.gif" border="0) but I would (and will) do it all over again without any complaints.

HTH laugh.gif" border="0

Nakbin

Hah! Yeah, Taipei airport has got to be the worst airport I've ever been in. I though taiwan was supposed to be the un-communist china? Sure seems like communist planned that place (though the havana airport in cuba is much better even!). The arrangement of corridors and stairways is just baffling. And god, why don't they let some private companies open up some shops and restaurants....

I'm going bkk->sfo in a few weeks on China Air. Not my favorite airline as they don't have those personal TV's to pass away the long hours, but the price it right, and they are OK, and I only have a 1 hr layover.

quote:

Originally posted by jjsushi:

Thanks for the great info all! I am 60% sold on flying CAL but the lack of a mileage share program really hurts!

Does anyone know who EVA shares their FF program with?

Nevermind I found it. Eva miles can get u CO onepass miles.

Nakbin / jjsushi--

OK..now I know where that hallway leads to... I was under the impression that it lead (only) to Immigration/Customs and that there was no further transit facilties...

I'll be going thru there on Thursday and will have a look..

I do agree that CI's cabin crew uniforms are not the most glamorous, but that thigh-high slit that runs up the side is just a KILLER!

Re: Eva airlines and their FFP. They ahve two progrms; one for kids 2-12 and everyone else over 12.... As I recall it, and looking in my EVA folder, they don't really particiapte in the "alliance" concept, rather they operate their own self-standing program. You CAN however fly CONTINENTAL (CO) and have those miles credited into your EVA (BR) account. visa versa applies as well.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Of all major European, North American and Asian carriers, CI and Air France have the worst safety record on international flights.

This does not include airlines like Vietnam Airlines or Cambodian or mainland Chinese airlines. It includes Philippine Airlines (not on domestic routes) and Korean Airlines.

The situation doesn't seem to have improved during the last couple of years ("new CI"), still "incidents" quite regularly. CI is a courageous airline, which takes risks (a coward one is CX - they are always the first ones to cancel a flight just because of a smallish typhoon, when CI is still flying, and sometimes crashes).

The chances to die on a CI flight are considerably higher than on other carriers. They are still low enough for me to fly CI regularly. I find them ok, not better or worse than others. The FF program is useless, staff somewhat rude IMHO.

EVA is a young airline, so no safety record yet (and no crashes). Taiwanese prefer EVA, because staff is said to be friendlier. A couple of years ago, the Taiwanese parliament made the president take EVA because CI was deemed not safe enough for him.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: iuytrede ]

Archived