Wai-ing in da' ghetto...

Unless you're Thai, forget it. You'll just look like an idiot trying to do. Very complicated nuances concerning class distinction, etc. Probably the very quickest way to show a Thai national that you have no idea what the fuck you are doing, and are a stupid farang, fresh off the tuna boat.

HT

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm... I think that might be a bit overboard. Very rarely will a farang meet with someone of higher status that matters, while on vacation or even an expat life. There are expats who live soley in sukumvit without ever needing to learn Thai.

IMO, there is a generic method of wai-ing someone of equal standing or slightly lower that is acceptable.

Rasputin said:

Umm... I think that might be a bit overboard. Very rarely will a farang meet with someone of higher status that matters, while on vacation or even an expat life. There are expats who live soley in sukumvit without ever needing to learn Thai.

IMO, there is a generic method of wai-ing someone of equal standing or slightly lower that is acceptable.

UMMM Sorry i do!

I meet hotel managers/owners many times while on business trips to LOS..am greeted with a waay.

All meetings with in house sale staff also...polite greetings

Yes I to have a good chuckle when I see a guy in a suit and tie walk into a gogo bar and wai a whore et al. But I dont see anything wrong with it. Just some person wanting to experience Thailand to the fullest. We all have been in that state of mind and all have made mistakes. Just have a good chuckle and remember when you were at that stage of the game

torneyboy said:

UMMM Sorry i do!

I meet hotel managers/owners many times while on business trips to LOS..am greeted with a waay.

All meetings with in house sale staff also...polite greetings

that is not really the upper strata of thai society, more like middle and upper middleclass.

Guest lazyphil

I Wai any Thai person--old or young, rich or poor--I cant be arsed to decide who worthy or not--all this hierarchy nonsense is too much like Baboons or similar monkeys who have blue bums..the ones with the bluest one is ranked higher!--besides being a falang I can be forgiven for fucking it all up!

lazyphil said:

I Wai any Thai person--old or young, rich or poor--I cant be arsed to decide who worthy or not--all this hierarchy nonsense is too much like Baboons or similar monkeys who have blue bums..the ones with the bluest one is ranked higher!--besides being a falang I can be forgiven for fucking it all up!

Especially if you show that blue blood bum of yours. :neener::beer:

Archived