A visit to the Ancient City

danish30

I have stayed in Bangkok for more than a couple of years, but I never went to see the Ancient City until this Sunday morning/afternoon. I have been in the area a couple of times, but never got further than visiting the Crocodile Farm (also worth a visit if you are in the area).

The Ancient City is basically a large cultural theme park, with replicas (some of them scaled down) of some of the famous old temples and monuments from all over Thailand. Of course much of the fun and excitement is not present when you know they are just replicas, but still, saves you a trip to all the remote places in Thailand to visit the real places :)

The Park is supposed to be 320 acres with 116 individual monuments, but it seems smaller. It took us about 2-3 hours to visit just about everywhere (on bicycle), going slowly and stopping many times for a snack. There are plenty of refreshments places where you can order a bowl of noodles or a hotdog/meatballs on a stick.

I would say that the place is worth a visit, not so much for the "wow" effect, since it's just copies, but more because it's a really nice and quiet place where you can spend a couple of relaxing hours away from Bangkok.

If you are visiting as a tourist, then I'm sure it's a great place to bring your tirak from last night to recharge for the coming evening out.

The entrance is 100 Bhat for each person (unlike the nearby Crocodile Farm they don't charge extra for farangs). You can rent a bicycle at the entrance for an additional 50 Baht. I really recommend renting a bicycle, because the park is too large to walk around, and although you can drive your car inside (50 baht), you get a much better view (as well as plenty of fresh air) from a bicycle.

During our visit I think the Thai/Farang ratio was something like 95% Thai and 5% Farang, probably because it's a bit far from the center of Bangkok.

For those who don't know, the Ancient City is located just outside of Bangkok, past Bang Na in Samut Prakan. If you are traveling from the Sukhumvit area, I would suggest a taxi (Sukhumvit - On Nut - Srinakarin), probably about 40-50 km in total and something around 250 Baht in each direction.

Personally I will visit again, mostly because of the relaxed atmosphere and the nice bike trip, not so much for the monuments, although they are build in high quality and some of them quite impressive.

Best regards,

Danish30

i have been there a couple of times during last years; the whole city is slowly but continuously developped and every time, there is something new to be seen. i like it and it is really offshore from the general tourist stream. the majority of the replicas i have seen in nature at all their original locations and a visit to Ancient City recalls a lot of memories from the trips i have made through thailand.

really worth a visit.

Yeah, worth a visit I would say. I also went to this area several times without giving notice to the Ancient City. They used to have a place for prayers at the place where the D2B singer had his nearly fatal (drunk driving) car accident. But when we went there today, it looked like they've cleaned up that place.

It's definately a non farang area, I remember one time I went to the Big C there and got those looks that make you go visit the bathroom to check if you have a large bugger in your nose or blood comming out of your forehead :)

I agree definitely worth at least 1 visit if one is looking for a bit of cultural exploring in the backyard of BKK.

Actually I was seeing this girl who used to live & work in that area thus I had both a guide & a short ride firther out old suk rd to visit one hot sunny day...

For the guys who wish to save a few baht on getting there hop on the #511 aircon bus(runs petchaburi/WTC/suk) & head for paknam, which is some B16. Either get off at the end or even better as you get into paknam, which is where you see the river & where there's a sign to the croc farm to the left. At that stop you should find a row of songthews departing going left out past croc farm, big c etc. & eventually muan boran on the left, which costs some B5-B10?

Enjoy!

Archived