Experience with Thai police

Ah, thanks for allowing me to rant on this personal pet peeve. WHY would it be better to pretend you don't speak Thai?! The only possible outcome of this could be that the police guy then assumes you're actually a CLUELESS NEWBIE and may actually try to go for that 2000 baht shakedown!!

In reply to your statement Chanchao,it could possibly be better not to speak Thai,as if you speak Thai its obvious that you have been in Thailand enough to not only learn the language ,but to also know better,as in my case ,riding a motorcycle without carrying a driving license.

I was at all times very polite and apologetic,i believe this is the most important thing ,i showed and received respect,and at no time did the officer make me feel like a clueless newbie,just as someone that innocently made a genuine mistake,and he was happy to tell me not to do it again.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> In reply to your statement Chanchao,it could possibly be

> better not to speak Thai,as if you speak Thai its obvious

> that you have been in Thailand enough to not only learn

> the language ,but to also know better,as in my case ,riding a

> motorcycle without carrying a driving license.

:: ! ! ! You live in Thailand and ride a bike but didn't get a license?????? Would you do that in any other country? If not why not? What if you get into an accident, would the police or insurance company then not get to the bottom of it regardless of how much of any language you speak? Would you in that case be better of with a valid and legal driving license?

Just some questions that came to mind.. ;) Get a drivers license right now, it's not excactly as difficult as getting a master degree..

Cheers,

Chanchao

Once in Bangkok a policeman stopped me nearby Landmark accusing me to have dropped a cigarette on the street. TIT, the people just try on you... LOL! I told him no way and walked away despite having him repeatingly shouting after me.

Then once when I had the bad luck to get my passport stolen and had to go to the police in Patong to get the needed police report in order to apply for a new passport at the embassy. But on this occasion I found the police rather helpful.

Yes...but pay 1000 now ..or two thousand at the station

Not necessarily. I had to pay 2,000 on the spot and got an official receipt without asking, so there was nothing I could do. Without the receipt I would have tried to negotiate, but this officer was not pocketing the money himself.

Cheers,

soongmak

Chanchao, below is my first post,i don't know how you got the impression that i did not have a driving license,and please don't rant at me ,when you are not in full possession of the facts.

Your comments on getting a driving license is not as difficult as getting a Masters degree,is deeply offensive,i think its perfectly clear that i do have a driving license ,but had left it in my condo,i even go on to say i was stopped a week later and had it on me.

Some people might be tempted to say understanding this is not like getting a Master degree,but as i do not wish to be rude to you ,i would not say that.

I was stopped on my motorcycle in Hua Hin,and was asked for my driving license,i had left it in my condo, the officer told me it was a legal requirement to carry a driving license with you,when riding in Thailand,he then went on to say ,"tomorrow you have license" he then told me to carry on with my journey.

I remembered reading previously that it was a good idea not to speak Thai in these situations,so i never spoke a word of Thai ,i also made out that i understood very little of what was said,despite the fact he spoke in english.

A week later i was stopped again at the same road block,but this time i had my license, and was quickly waved on my way.

I have to say that both times ,the police officers were extremely polite.

Ah, ok, my attention span is not what it used to be. ;-) Didn't even look that you were the same guy I replied to earlier. I guess an apology is in order.

Anyway, in that case it would be perfect to just explain in Thai that your license is at your condo and that you'd be delighted to come show it at the police station. (Most likely you would not have to do that, but it would be nice to offer)

Because being able to explain that you do have a license is better than the police guy thinking you don't have one at all.

(which reminds me of the time that I was stopped at the Rama 9 tollway about a monht ago, by police checking there (at EVERY toll-gate) looking for people without the manditory up-to-date prb car insurance tag. Playing a clueless Farang zombie wouldn't have gotten me anywhere, but I was able to explain that I did in fact paid for the tag, but that it was still in Chiang Mai. (you can only get those things in the province where the car is registered).

Cheers,

Chanchao

>>>>>>>Not necessarily. I had to pay 2,000 on the spot and got an official receipt without asking, so there was nothing I could do. Without the receipt I would have tried to negotiate, but this officer was not pocketing the money himself.<<<<<<<

Only happened once to me about 9 months ago. Fine was 2,000 but talked my way down to 1,000. And I did get a receipt, although never asking for one, but never checked it for what amount was on it, if any. I remember it was written it Thai, of course. Receipt could have been for anything (warning?), and the cop still pocketing the money. :dunno: This was near Suk soi 7.

HT

Archived