Experience with Thai police

WHY would it be better to pretend you don't speak Thai?!

--------------------------------

Because it works. especially in situations where you really feel set-up, like road stops. Upcountry, it works, though maybe not in Chaing Mai or in BKK.

I once had a cop stopping me and my frined while we were driving in Issan. Possibly, we were going faster than the permitted 100km/h. he kept pointing at my friend's watch, like he wanted it. I kept telling him in english what was the time. after 2 minutes of this game, he let us go.

Not that speaking thai would have gotten him the watch, but the whole idea is to drown the whole road stop in total incomprehension. Cops are lazy thais too! overwork is not their forte.

More tha a few expat buddies living in Issan think it's a good tactic.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Not that speaking thai would have gotten him the watch, but the whole idea is to drown the whole road stop in total incomprehension"

Works for me.

As a matter of fact, I consider Farangs that speak Thai at upcountry roadblocks to the equivalent (or worse) of the guys that pay too much for a ST/LT. They are ruining it for the rest of us and I don't appreciate it at all. Next thing you know, that cop is going to be expecting me to speak Thai. :censored:

TH

> As a matter of fact, I consider Farangs that speak Thai

> at upcountry roadblocks to the equivalent (or worse) of

> the guys that pay too much for a ST/LT.

:-) And to think that I actually resisted the urge earlier on to compare the English-only zombies with dirty-Singha-singlet & heavy gold chain wearing fat old Bar-Expert-Farangs with more hair on their back and chest than on their head, who's main goal in life seems to be drinking cheap liquor and Shorttiming some ageing bar-mother for 300 baht, but I resisted the urge. But thanks for making that point a bit more politely than I intended to. :-P

Cheers,

Chanchao

On a side note, (unrelated) I recently learned what the term 'MILF' means. (It's for slightly older women say 30-40 who nonetheless look fit and sexy and are (supposed to be) more experience sex animals.) MILF actually stands for "Mothers I'd Like to Fuck".

Along the same lines the sadder contingent of Pattaya residents would be eyeing "MICAFs"......... ("Mothers I Can Afford to Fuck" (without my own ageing bar-reject Missus finding the dent in my beer money for the afternoon)

i have only good experiences with the cops in LOS. from the many times i was caught violating traffic rules, many times i did not need to pay, sometimes 100 baht on the spot and only one time i was requested to send somebody to the station to pick up my driving license for 200 baht

Archived