Experience with Thai police

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, must have been your lucky day then! I got caught close to the emporium for dropping a cigarette butt and had to pay the full 2,000 baht. :censored:

The only other run in with the police I had was a search for drugs at ekkamai bus station. I was scared shitless they would plant something on me to shake me down, but fortunately that didn't happen.

Cheers,

soongmak

I was stopped on my motorcycle in Hua Hin,and was asked for my driving license,i had left it in my condo, the officer told me it was a legal requirement to carry a driving license with you,when riding in Thailand,he then went on to say ,"tomorrow you have license" he then told me to carry on with my journey.

I remembered reading previously that it was a good idea not to speak Thai in these situations,so i never spoke a word of Thai ,i also made out that i understood very little of what was said,despite the fact he spoke in english.

A week later i was stopped again at the same road block,but this time i had my license, and was quickly waved on my way.

I have to say that both times ,the police officers were extremely polite.

> I remembered reading previously that it was a good idea

> not to speak Thai in these situations,so i never spoke a word of Thai

Ah, thanks for allowing me to rant on this personal pet peeve. WHY would it be better to pretend you don't speak Thai?! The only possible outcome of this could be that the police guy then assumes you're actually a CLUELESS NEWBIE and may actually try to go for that 2000 baht shakedown!!

Why is speaking Thai in this case different from EVERYTHING ELSE in Thailand where it's better to speak Thai? From buying a watch on Sukhumvit to getting a girl at a massage parlour all the way to buying a house or a car? Really, think about it. Be polite, speak Thai. If you did something wrong, it's much easier to negotiate down to a reasonable 100 or 200 baht when speaking Thai. When you know the score, let the police dude know you know the score! Negotiations of ANY KIND are best done in Thai, and negotiating a traffic fine is NO DIFFERENT from negotiating the price you're paying for that T-shirt!

And you may actually end up having a pleasant conversation with the police guy. I have at several times. I voted I'm treated BETTER more often. Though it's a close call between better and 'same as everyone else'. There are definitely some real cunts around in brown, as any Thai will confirm.

Thank you for listening to my rant. :)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I have been stopped twice for traffic violations. I was guilty as shit both times; my wife was with me and dealt with it in Thai. One time was outside Map Ta Phut, and once it was established I was not a sex tourist from Pattaya, we were let go without a fine. Other time was upcountry near wife's village. That one cost 200 baht.

TH

Archived