Bangkok may become arts capital of Asia

MrX

I disagree with you on every point I think you mentioned, suffice to say, arguing will get us nowhere, so agree to disagree with you.

Art is subjective, for me, and a number of friends of mine, we like the two artists, and yes, I know vasan very well.

So - lets just agree to disagree.

KJB

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>Art is subjective, for me, and a number of friends of mine, we like the two artists, and yes, I know vasan very well.<<<

i have the misfortune to know him also, since about ten years, and i do know manit as well since nearly as long. i do not base my points on hearsay. i have to say though that i avoid both of them like the pest, and have no interest whatsoever to get to know them any better.

art may be subjective, but blatant plagiarism isn't (i do happen to know the work of some of the artists who they have stolen from, especially manit).

and racist rants i do understand, also if they are spoken in thai. i have heard more than enough from those two.

>>>What is art if not about the nature of man(kind) or nature and mankind?<<<

and there was one thai artist who would really fulfill that quest: the late montien boonma.

he died miserably of cancer and hardly recognised in his own country. a visionary who went way beyond the usual pubertarian politicising and the kitsch of what is mistaken as art by our moneyed collectors. even the bangkok post did not write an orbituary at the death of the maybe greatest thai artist ever.

by the way, also symptomatic - the largest collector of montien boonma is a farang.

>>>Still disagree with you on Vasan and manit though <<<

i don't know about your relationship with them, and it's none of my business. but i would be very careful with them. they have two faces.

anyhow, glad that you agree on montien boonma. :)

...no wonder that they are nice to you. ;)

sorry, but i am very cynical about those sort of "artists". i have seen several people, who at some point of their careers were very supportative, left burned after someone bigger came up.

and honestly, both present themselves as "activist-artists" but i do miss both adressing the real social evils of the society here, just jumping on convenient issues. apart from that i believe that both of them do not have their own visual language, especially manit. every single "project" he does i have seen done in a very similar way by other photographers, and very often very soon after he either exhibited with them or known them.

i have never liked the pinky man project, first of all he is always associated with it, but he just does technically very bad pictures of that thing. the fist ones were badly done studio pictures, then i have seen some lousy journalistic style pics, and when i have had a look at the book of thai art recently it appears as if he uses very amateurishly digital.

he markets himself though extremely clever, riding that dead horse of that pinky man since 7 or 8 years.

sorry, but IMHO an artist has to have a vision beyond pubertarian provocation, beyond simplistic politics, and has to have his own style of expressing himself. he has to have a personality, and not just be some chameleon going after whatever might be sucessful.

It would be interesting for you, and others, to tell us which artist you know or encountered, that you find have a valid and personal artistry to show, any media.

BTW, I went to see The Overture, and I liked it. has anyone seen it? Not a super great movie, but definitely some beauty to it, and the moments of ranad ekcompetition were quite boiling.

i am a bit out of the circle, and i don't know any of the younger ones.

people i really like are the already mentioned montien boonma, i do like very much the work of the mad italian living in bali - mondo, and the one of his indonesian teacher, i think his name is mocco (or something similar).

one of my alltime favourites is the long dead russian painter and all around genie nicholas roehrich. he lived most of his later life in naggar, in the kulu valley in himachal pradesh, india. there is a loveley museum in his house. he was a master in capturing the light of the himalaya, and incoperating hindu philosophy in his paintings.

one of my favourite artmovements is the bengali school of miniture painting, came up at the same time of rabindranath tagore. a beautyful connection between traditional indian miniatures and western inspired creation. in calcutta's museums you can see a fairly good collection.

Archived